The Generalized Composite Commodity Theorem and Food Demand Estimation
AbstractThis article reports tests of aggregation over consumer food products and estimates of aggregate food demand elasticities. Evidence that food demand variables follow unit root processes leads us to build on and simplify existing tests of the Generalized Composite Commodity Theorem. We compute food demand elasticities using a method of cointegration that is shown to apply to a convenient but nonlinear functional form. Estimates are based on consumer reported expenditure data rather than commercial disappearance data. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 87 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zhen Miao & John C. Beghin & Helen H. Jensen, 2011.
"Accounting for Product Substitution in the Analysis of Food Taxes Targeting Obesity,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
10-wp518, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Zhen Miao & John C. Beghin & Helen H. Jensen, 2013. "Accounting For Product Substitution In The Analysis Of Food Taxes Targeting Obesity," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(11), pages 1318-1343, November.
- Miao, Zhen & Beghin, John C. & Jensen, Helen H., 2012. "Accounting for Product Substitution in the Analysis of Food Taxes Targeting Obesity," Staff General Research Papers 32211, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Miao, Zhen & Beghin, John C. & Jensen, Helen H., 2011. "Accounting for Product Substitution in the Analysis of Food Taxes Targeting Obesity," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103320, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Schroeter, Christiane & Lusk, Jayson & Tyner, Wallace, 2008. "Determining the impact of food price and income changes on body weight," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 45-68, January.
- Asche, Frank & Guttormsen, Atle G. & Kristofersson, Dadi & Roheim, Cathy A., 2005. "Import Demand Estimation and the Generalized Composite Commodity Theorem," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19432, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Schroeter, Christiane & Lusk, Jayson L. & Tyner, Wallace E., 2005. "Determining the Impact of Food Price and Income Changes on Obesity," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19234, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Trenton Smith & Christiana Stoddard & Michael G. Barnes, 2007.
"Why the Poor Get Fat: Weight Gain and Economic Insecurity,"
2007-16, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University.
- Smith Trenton G. & Stoddard Christiana & Barnes Michael G, 2009. "Why the Poor Get Fat: Weight Gain and Economic Insecurity," Forum for Health Economics & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 12(2), pages 1-31, June.
- Okrent, Abigail M. & Alston, Julian M., 2012. "The Demand for Disaggregated Food-Away-from-Home and Food-at-Home Products in the United States," Economic Research Report 132469, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Catherine Durham & James Eales, 2010.
"Demand elasticities for fresh fruit at the retail level,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(11), pages 1345-1354.
- Durham, Catherine A. & Eales, James S., 2006. "Demand Elasticities for Fresh Fruit at the Retail Level," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21099, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Leffler, Kristyn K. & Carpio, Carlos E. & Boonsaeng, Tullaya, 2012. "Temporal Aggregation and Treatment of Zero Dependent Variables in the Estimation of Food Demand using Cross-Sectional Data," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124913, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Okrent, Abigail M. & Alston, Julian M., 2011. "Demand for Food in the United States: A Review of Literature, Evaluation of Previous Estimates, and Presentation of New Estimates of Demand," Working Papers 162515, Robert Mondavi Institute Center for Wine Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.