Partial Market Liberalization and the Efficiency of Policy Reform: The Case of the European Dairy Sector
AbstractThis article analyzes the efficiency of partial market liberalization and policy reform with an application to the European dairy sector. In a second best world, partial moves toward market liberalization are not always efficiency improving. We develop a general equilibrium model to investigate the efficiency implications of discrete changes in government policy. The analysis covers price and quantity instruments used in both domestic and trade policy. We derive simple cnditions under which partial market liberalization is efficiency improving. We apply the approach to agricultural policy reform in the European dairy sector and identify market liberalization scenarios that are “not” efficiency improving. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 84 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Charteris, Angus & Winchester, Niven, 2010. "Dairy disaggregation and joint production in an economy-wide model," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(4), December.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Requillart, Vincent, 2006. "EU dairy policy and WTO negotiations," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10105, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Zohra Mechemache, 2006. "Efficiency measurements and the gains from trade under transaction costs," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 67-85, August.
- Alston, Julian M. & Balagtas, Joseph Valdes & Brunke, Henrich & Sumner, Daniel A., 2006. "Supply and demand for commodity components: implications of free trade versus the AUSFTA for the US dairy industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(2), June.
- Angus Charteris & Niven Winchester, 2010. "Dairy disaggregation and joint production in an economy-wide model *-super-‡ ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(4), pages 491-507, October.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Z. & Chavas, J.P. & Cox, T. & Réquillart, V., 2001.
"Price discrimination and EU dairy policy : an economic evaluation of policy options,"
Economics Working Paper Archive (Toulouse)
23, French Institute for Agronomy Research (INRA), Economics Laboratory in Toulouse (ESR Toulouse).
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Cox, Thomas L. & Requillart, Vincent, 2002. "Price Discrimination and EU Dairy Policy: An Economic Evaluation of Policy Options," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24899, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Ali-Kein, Hela Hadj & Requillart, Vincent, 2006. "Impact of WTO reforms on the world dairy sector," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21149, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Rakotoarisoa, Manitra & Gulati, Ashok, 2006. "Competitiveness and trade potential of India's dairy industry," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 216-227, June.
- Jeon, Sang-Gon, 2009. "Price Equivalent Impacts of the DDA in the Korean Raw-milk Market," Journal of Rural Development/Nongchon-Gyeongje, Korea Rural Economic Institute, vol. 32(2), June.
- Alston, Julian M. & Sumner, Daniel A. & Balagtas, Joseph Valdes & Brunke, Henrich, 2004. "Economic Implications Of The Australia-U.S. Free Trade Agreement For U.S. Dairy Markets And Domestic Dairy Farm Programs," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20164, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- P. Dorian Owen & Niven Winchester, 2011. "The impact of US fresh milk production standards on dairy trade," Working Papers 1117, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.