Cost-Effective Hazard Control in Food Handling
AbstractWe develop a bioeconomic model to investigate postharvest food quality control. The trade-off between costly intervention and economic damage is studied when economic parameters, such as fixed and variable costs of control, and biological parameters, such as the stochastic rate of contamination and the growth rate of contaminants, are altered. The model can accommodate alternative environmental settings. Regulations through random inspections and through terminal inspections are analyzed. As an illustration, optimal actions to control insect infestations in stored wheat are simulated and found to be in accord with commercial practice. Copyright 1999, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 81 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yigezu, Yigezu A. & Alexander, Corinne E. & Preckel, Paul V. & Maier, D.E. & Woloshuk, C.P. & Mason, L.J. & Lawrence, J. & Moog, D.J., 2008.
"Optimal management of molds in stored corn,"
Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 220-227, October.
- Yigezu, Yigezu A. & Alexander, Corinne E. & Preckel, Paul V., 2008. "Optimal Management of Molds in Stored Corn," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6572, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Cristina Grazia & Abdelhakim Hammoudi & Oualid Hamza, 2012. "Sanitary and phytosanitary standards: Does consumersâ€™ health protection justify developing countriesâ€™ producersâ€™ exclusion?," Working Papers 167021, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Cristina Grazia & Abdelhakim Hammoudi & Oualid Hamza, 2012. "Sanitary and phytosanitary standards: Does consumers’ health protection justify developing countries’ producers’ exclusion?," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 93(2), pages 145-170.
- Hirschauer, Norbert & Musshoff, Oliver & Scheerer, Sebastian, 2006. "An Interdisciplinary Approach to White-collar Crime in the Food Sector," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25688, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Resende-Filho, Moises & Buhr, Brian, 2007.
"Economics of traceability for mitigation of food recall costs,"
3650, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Resende Filho, Moises de Andrade & Buhr, Brian L., 2012. "Economics of Traceability for Mitigation of Food Recall Costs," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126193, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hirschauer, Norbert & Musshoff, Oliver, 2006. "Trust and the Profitability of Rule-Breaking in Grain Production," 99th Seminar, February 8-10, 2006, Bonn, Germany 7754, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Elbakidze, Levan & McCarl, Bruce A., 2005. "Ex Ante Vs. Ex Post Bioterrorism Mitigation: Better Safe Than Sorry?," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19191, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Eric Giraud-Héraud & Hakim Hammoudi & Louis-Georges Soler, 2006. "Food Safety, Liability and Collective Norms," Working Papers hal-00243034, HAL.
- Cristina Grazia & Abdelhakim Hammoudi & Oualid Hamza, 2012. "Sanitary and phytosanitary standards: Does consumers' health protection justify developing countries' producers' exclusion?," Post-Print hal-00939245, HAL.
- Hirschauer, Norbert & Musshoff, Oliver, 2007. "A game-theoretic approach to behavioral food risks: The case of grain producers," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 246-265, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.