Estimating the Demand for Calories in India
AbstractThis article examines the long-run relationship between per capita calorie intake, per capita income, and food prices using aggregate data for India, 1961–1992. Cointegration analysis yields an income elasticity of calorie intake of 0.34, while the food-price elasticity is insignificant. Thus, economic growth in India, as measured by increasing per capita income, has significantly improved calorie intake; future income growth can alleviate further inadequate nutrition. However, significant improvements in calorie intake cannot be made directly by food subsidies. A further result is that calorie intake is Granger-caused by income and not vice versa: income generation is unconstrained by calorie intake. Copyright 1998, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 80 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ferda HALICIOGLU, 2012.
"The Demand for Calories in Turkey,"
Iktisat Isletme ve Finans,
Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 27(316), pages 93-108.
- Federico, Giovanni, 2003. "Heights, calories and welfare: a new perspective on Italian industrialization, 1854-1913," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 289-308, December.
- Pan, Suwen & Fang, Cheng & Rejesus, Roderick M., 2008. "Food Calorie Intake under Grain Price Uncertainty: Evidence from Rural Nepal," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6198, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Rimma Shiptsova & H.L. Goodwin & Rodney Holcomb, 2004. "Primary agricultural product demand in post-communist Russia," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(2), pages 129-141.
- Paula Carvalho Pereda & Denisard Cneio de Oliveira Alves, 2008. "Demand for Nutrients in Brazil," Anais do XXXVI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 36th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 200807211136590, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Rae, Allan N., 1999. "Food consumption patterns and nutrition in urban Java households: the discriminatory power of some socioeconomic variables," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 43(3), September.
- Suwen Pan & Cheng Fang & Roderick Rejesus, 2009. "Food Calorie Intake under Grain Price Uncertainty in Rural Nepal," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 137-148, June.
- Salois, Matthew & Tiffin, Richard & Balcombe, Kelvin, 2010. "Calorie and Nutrient Consumption as a Function of Income: A Cross-Country Analysis," MPRA Paper 24726, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shimokawa, Satoru, 2010. "Nutrient Intake of the Poor and its Implications for the Nutritional Effect of Cereal Price Subsidies: Evidence from China," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 1001-1011, July.
- Abdulai, Awudu & Aubert, Dominique, 2004. "Nonparametric and parametric analysis of calorie consumption in Tanzania," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 113-129, April.
- Harris Neeliah & Bhavani Shankar, 2008. "Is nutritional improvement a cause or a consequence of economic growth? Evidence from Mauritius," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 17(8), pages 1-11.
- Ogundari, Kolawole, 2011. "Estimating Demand for Nutrients in Nigeria: A Vector Error Correction Model," MPRA Paper 28930, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hyde, Jeffrey & Foster, Kenneth A., 1999. "Exploring With Dynamic Relationship Between Advertising And Revenues Within The Pork Industry," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21614, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Yu, Bingxin, 2012. "From Plot to Plate: Linking Agricultural Productivity and Human Nutrition in Bangladesh," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126803, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kavand, Hossein & Heidary, Khalil, 2007. "Evaluation the Effect of Food Subsidy Reduction on Iranian Household Calorie Intake: VAR Application," Miscellaneous Publications 32659, Statistical Research and Training Center (Iran).
- Kuiper, W. Erno & Lutz, Clemens & van Tilburg, Aad, 2002. "Vertical Price Leadership on Local Maize Markets in Benin," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24886, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.