Structural Versus Reduced-Form Estimation of Optimal Stopping Problems
AbstractIn this paper I examine several statistical, interpretive, and policy implications of reduced-form (probit or logit) estimation of optimal stopping problems. The discussion proceeds in the context of an examination of the timber harvest decision of nonindustrial private forest (NIPF) owners. For a large class of optimal stopping problems a reduced-form model which closely approximates the statistical performance of its structural counterpart is readily found. Still, failure to properly interpret the relationship between the reduced-form model and the underlying optimal stopping problem invites flawed econometric analysis and inappropriate interpretation of reduced-form coefficients. Copyright 1997, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 79 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hicks, Robert L. & Schnier, Kurt E., 2006.
"A Spatial Model of Dolphin Avoidance in the Eastern Tropical Pacific Ocean,"
2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA
21290, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Robert L. Hicks & Kurt Schnier, 2006. "A Spatial Model of Dolphin Avoidance in the Eastern Tropical Pacific Ocean," Working Papers 25, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Odening, Martin & Musshoff, Oliver & Huettel, Silke, 2003. "Empirische Validierung von Realoptionsmodellen," Working Paper Series 18825, Humboldt University Berlin, Department Agricultural Economics.
- Hicks, Robert L. & Schnier, Kurt E., 2008. "Eco-labeling and dolphin avoidance: A dynamic model of tuna fishing in the Eastern Tropical Pacific," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 103-116, September.
- Pietola, Kyosti & Vare, Minna & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M., 2002. "Farmers' Exit Decisions and Early Retirement Programs in Finland," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24825, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Yoo, Do-il, 2012. "Individual and Social Learning in Bio-technology Adoption: The Case of GM Corn in the U.S," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124975, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Odening, Martin & Musshoff, Oliver & Utesch, Volker, 2004. "Der Wechsel vom konventionellen zum Ã¶kologischen Landbau: Eine investitionstheoretische Betrachtung," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 53(6).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.