Factors Driving Import Demand in Selected Central, Eastern and Southeastern European Countries
AbstractThis study presents estimates of both country-specific and panel long-run import elasticities for EU Member States from Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe and for Croatia and Turkey. The results confirm (1) the existence of a strong export-import link in most of the countries, (2) the prominent role of fixed investment in determining imports in nearly all countries, and (3) with some exceptions, the relatively smaller role of private consumption for imports. Furthermore, we use import elasticities to test for economic interlinkages within the EU-27 and find that economic integration is advanced.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank) in its journal Focus on European Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Documentation Management and Communications Services, Otto-Wagner Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pedroni, Peter, 2004.
"Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic And Finite Sample Properties Of Pooled Time Series Tests With An Application To The Ppp Hypothesis,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 597-625, June.
- Peter Pedroni, 2004. "Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic and Finite Sample Properties of Pooled Time Series Tests with an Application to the PPP Hypothesis," Department of Economics Working Papers 2004-15, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Sam Ouliaris, 1987.
"Asymptotic Properties of Residual Based Tests for Cointegration,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
847R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1988.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Ouliaris, S, 1990. "Asymptotic Properties of Residual Based Tests for Cointegration," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 165-93, January.
- Richard H. Clarida, 1992.
"Cointegration, aggregate consumption, and the demand for imports: a structural econometric investigation,"
9213, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Clarida, Richard H, 1994. "Cointegration, Aggregate Consumption, and the Demand for Imports: A Structural Econometric Investigation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 298-308, March.
- Clarida, R.H., 1992. "Cointegration, Aggregate Consumption and the Demand for Imports: A Struct ural Econometric Investigation," Discussion Papers 1992_29, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Richard H. Clarida, 1991. "Co-Integration, Aggregate Consumption, and the Demand For Imports: A Structural Econometric Investigation," NBER Working Papers 3812, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wojciech Mroczek & Michal Rubaszek, 2004. "Development of the trade links between Poland and the European Union in the years 1992–2002," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 30, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 1995.
"Devaluation, Relative Prices, and International Trade: Evidence from Developing Countries,"
6974, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart, 1995. "Devaluation, Relative Prices, and International Trade: Evidence from Developing Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(2), pages 290-312, June.
- Carmen Reinhart, 1994. "Devaluation, Relative Prices, and International Trade: Evidence from Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 94/140, International Monetary Fund.
- Vladimir Benacek & Ladislav Prokop & Jan A. Visek, 2003. "Determining Factors of the Czech Foreign Trade Balance: Structural Issues in Trade Creation," Working Papers 2003/03, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Hsiao,Cheng, 2003.
"Analysis of Panel Data,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521522717, November.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999.
" Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-70, Special I.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Department of Economics Working Papers 2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Harb, Nasri, 2005.
"Import Demand in Heterogeneous Panel Setting,"
13622, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Szilárd Benk & Zoltán M. Jakab & Mihály András Kovács & Balázs Párkányi & Zoltán Reppa & Gábor Vadas, 2006. "The Hungarian Quarterly Projection Model (NEM)," MNB Occasional Papers 2006/60, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S., 1985. "Income and price effects in foreign trade," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1041-1105 Elsevier.
- Timothy A. Deyak & W. Charles Sawyer & Richard L. Sprinkle, 1993. "The Adjustment of Canadian Import Demand to Changes in Income, Prices, and Exchange Rates," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(4), pages 890-900, November.
- Carone, Giuseppe, 1996. "Modeling the U.S. demand for imports through cointegration and error correction," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-48, February.
- Tatiana Fic & Marcin Kolasa & Adam Kot & Karol Murawski & Michal Rubaszek & Magdalena Tarnicka, 2005. "ECMOD Model of the Polish Economy," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 36, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Peter Pedroni & David Canning, 2004. "The Effect of Infrastructure on Long Run Economic Growth," Department of Economics Working Papers 2004-04, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Abdelhak Senhadji, 1998. "Time-Series Estimation of Structural Import Demand Equations: A Cross-Country Analysis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(2), pages 236-268, June.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993. "A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- Amano, Robert A. & Wirjanto, Tony S., 1997. "Adjustment costs and import demand behavior: evidence from Canada and the United States," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 461-476, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Birgit Riedler).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.