Spinoffs of Entrepreneurial Firms: An O-Ring Approach
AbstractThe O-ring theory is used to analyze the emergence of firms organized as partnerships. The owner-managers of such entrepreneurial firms benefit from ability matching within their production teams. However, they must bear the project risk. Risk aversion then induces a second-best solution. Integrated firms managed on behalf of risk-neutral residual claimants face information and/or enforcement problems. Hence, they cannot organize ability-matched teams. There exists an equilibrium such that groups of individuals sharing a superior ability level will found entrepreneurial firms. Low-quality individuals will be employed by managed firms, which hire randomly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics.
Volume (Year): 160 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/jite
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D2 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations
- L2 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior
- M2 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- von Siemens, Ferdinand A. & Kosfeld, Michael, 2014.
"Team production in competitive labor markets with adverse selection,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 68(C), pages 181-198.
- Ferdinand von Siemens & Michael Kosfeld, 2014. "Team Production in Competitive Labor Markets with Adverse Selection," CESifo Working Paper Series 4638, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kosfeld, Michael & Von Siemens, Ferdinand, 2014. "Team Production in Competitive Labor Markets with Adverse Selection," CEPR Discussion Papers 9833, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Müller, Bettina, 2006.
"Human capital and successful academic spin-off,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
06-81, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bettina Müller, 2006. "Human Capital and Successful Academic Spin-Off," Working Papers of the Research Group Heterogenous Labor 06-14, Research Group Heterogeneous Labor, University of Konstanz/ZEW Mannheim.
- Egbert, Henrik & Neumann, Thomas & Rasmus, Anke, 2014.
"Matchingtools und Matchingprozesse im Kontext von Junior und Senior Entrepreneuren
[Matching Tools and Processes in the Context of Junior and Senior Entrepreneurship]," MPRA Paper 54829, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erik Lehmann, 2004.
"Does Venture Capital Syndication Spur Employment Growth and Shareholder Value? : evidence from German IPO Data,"
Working Papers of the Research Group Heterogenous Labor
04-11, Research Group Heterogeneous Labor, University of Konstanz/ZEW Mannheim.
- Erik Lehmann, 2006. "Does Venture Capital Syndication Spur Employment Growth and Shareholder Value? Evidence from German IPO Data," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 26(5), pages 455-464, 06.
- Erik E. Lehmann, 2004. "Does Venture Capital Syndication Spur Employment Growth and Shareholder Value? Evidence from German IPO Data," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-21, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Erik Lehmann & Thorsten Braun & Sebastian Krispin, 2012.
"Entrepreneurial human capital, complementary assets, and takeover probability,"
The Journal of Technology Transfer,
Springer, vol. 37(5), pages 589-608, October.
- Thorsten V. Braun & Sebastian Krispin & Erik E. Lehmann, 2009. "Entrepreneurial Human Capital, Complementary Assets, and Takeover Probability," Discussion Paper Series 307, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Braun, Thorsten V. & Krispin, Sebastian & Lehmann, Erik E., 2010. "Entrepreneurial human capital, complementary assets, and takeover probability," UO Working Papers 03-10, University of Augsburg, Chair of Management and Organization.
- Braun, Thorsten V. & Lehmann, Erik E. & Schwerdtfeger, Manuel T., 2011. "The stock market evaluation of IPO-firm takeovers," UO Working Papers 01-11, University of Augsburg, Chair of Management and Organization.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.