GMM Estimates of Currency Substitution between the Canadian Dollar and the U.S. Dollar
AbstractThis paper investigates the empirical strength of currency substitution between the Canadian dollar and the U.S. dollar. Euler equations implied by a small, open economy, money-in-the-utility-function model are estimated and tested by Hansen's generalized method of moments procedure. The major empirical finding is that both the elasticity of currency substitution and the share of U.S. currency in the production of Canadian liquidity services are economically small even though the combined domestic and U.S. real balances appear to provide statistically significant economizing on transactions costs. Copyright 1994 by Ohio State University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 26 (1994)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sharma, Subhash C. & Kandil, Magda & Chaisrisawatsuk, Santi, 2005. "Currency substitution in Asian countries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 489-532, June.
- Marco Airaudo & Luis-Felipe Zanna, 2004.
"Endogenous Fluctuations in Open Economies: the Perils of Taylor Rules Revisited,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
80, Econometric Society.
- Marco Airaudo & Luis-Felipe Zanna, 2004. "Endogenous Fluctuations in Open Economies: The Perils of Taylor Rules Revisited," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 6, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Harrison , Barry & Vymyatnina, Yulia, 2007. "Currency substitution in a de-dollarizing economy: The case of Russia," BOFIT Discussion Papers 3/2007, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Uribe, Martin, 1997.
"Hysteresis in a simple model of currency substitution,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 185-202, September.
- Martin Uribe, 1995. "Hysteresis in a simple model of currency substitution," International Finance Discussion Papers 509, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas, 2004.
"Currency Substitution, portfolio Diversification and Money Demand,"
NIPE Working Papers
9/2004, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas & Francisco José Veiga, 2006. "Currency substitution, portfolio diversification, and money demand," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 39(3), pages 719-743, August.
- Miguel Lebre de Freitas, 2004. "Currency Substitution, Portfolio Diversification and Money Demand," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 263, Econometric Society.
- Selcuk, Faruk, 2003. "Currency substitution: new evidence from emerging economies," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 219-224, February.
- Tsang, Shu-ki & Ma, Yue, 2002. "Currency substitution and speculative attacks on a currency board system," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 53-78, February.
- Georgy Idrisov & Lev Freinkman, 2009. "Modeling the Currency Structure of Bank Deposits: Does the Ratchet Effect Matter?," Working Papers 0005, Gaidar Institute for Economic Policy, revised 2009.
- Travis D. Nesmith, 2005. "Solving stochastic money-in-the-utility-function models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-52, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Olga Aslanidi, 2008. "Dollarization in Transition Economies: New Evidence from Georgia," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp366, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.