Regulation of State-Owned and Privatized Utilities: Ukraine Electricity Distribution Company Performance
AbstractBoth ownership and regulation affect the behavior of utility managers. Private ownership rewards managerial decisions that enhance shareholder value. Regulatory incentives reward behavior that affects profits and costs. An empirical analysis of 24 Ukraine electricity distribution companies from 1998 to 2002 indicates that privately owned firms do respond to incentives that add to net cash flows (associated with reducing commercial and non-commercial network losses). However, they also respond more aggressively than do state-owned distribution utilities to mark-up (cost-plus) regulatory incentives that increase shareholder value but decrease cost efficiency. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, Inc. 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Regulatory Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100298
data envelopment analysis (DEA) and stochastic frontier analysis (SFA); incentive regulation; state-owned and privatized utilities;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helene Ryding, 1998. "Electricity Restructuring in Ukraine: Illusions of Power in the Power Industry?," CERT Discussion Papers 9803, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul W., 1998.
"Productivity growth in industrialized countries,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1998036, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Taniguchi, Mariko & Kaneko, Shinji, 2009. "Operational performance of the Bangladesh rural electrification program and its determinants with a focus on political interference," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2433-2439, June.
- Goto, Mika & Makhija, Anil K., 2007. "The Impact of Competition and Corporate Structure on Productive Efficiency: The Case of the U.S. Electric Utility Industry, 1990-2004," Working Paper Series 2007-10, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2013. "Essays on Electricity Market Reforms: A Cross-Country Applied Approach," MPRA Paper 47139, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tooraj Jamasb & Magnus Söderberg, 2010. "The Effects of Average Norm Model Regulation: The Case of Electricity Distribution in Sweden," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 249-269, May.
- Antonio Estache & L. Wren-Lewis, 2008. "Towards a Theory of Regulation for Developing Countries: Following Laffont's Lead," Working Papers ECARES 2008_018, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jamasb, T. & Söderberg, M., 2009. "Yardstick and Ex-post Regulation by Norm Model: Empirical Equivalence, Pricing Effect, and Performance in Sweeden," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0908, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Fumagalli, Elena & Garrone, Paola & Grilli, Luca, 2007. "Service quality in the electricity industry: The role of privatization and managerial behavior," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6212-6224, December.
- Silvestre, Bruno & Hall, Jeremy & Matos, Stelvia & Figueira, Luiz Augusto, 2010. "Privatization of electricity distribution in the Northeast of Brazil: The good, the bad, the ugly or the naïve?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 7001-7013, November.
- Schober, Dominik, 2013. "Static vs. dynamic impacts of unbundling: Electricity markets in South America," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-033, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Antonio Estache & L. Wren-Lewis, 2009.
"Towards a Theory of Regulation for Developing Countries: Following Jean-Jacques Laffont's Lead,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/43903, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Antonio Estache & Liam Wren-Lewis, 2009. "Toward a Theory of Regulation for Developing Countries: Following Jean-Jacques Laffont's Lead," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(3), pages 729-70, September.
- Asaftei, Gabriel & Parmeter, Christopher F., 2010. "Market power, EU integration and privatization: The case of Romania," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 340-356, September.
- Chen Lin & Sanford Berg, 2008. "Incorporating Service Quality into Yardstick Regulation: An Application to the Peru Water Sector," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 53-75, February.
- Sarbassov, Yerbol & Kerimray, Aiymgul & Tokmurzin, Diyar & Tosato, GianCarlo & De Miglio, Rocco, 2013. "Electricity and heating system in Kazakhstan: Exploring energy efficiency improvement paths," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 431-444.
- Devkar, Ganesh A. & Mahalingam, Ashwin & Deep, Akash & Thillairajan, A., 2013. "Impact of Private Sector Participation on access and quality in provision of electricity, telecom and water services in developing countries: A systematic review," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 65-81.
- See, Kok Fong & Coelli, Tim, 2012. "An analysis of factors that influence the technical efficiency of Malaysian thermal power plants," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 677-685.
- Berg, Sanford V. & Jiang, Liangliang & Lin, Chen, 2012.
"Regulation and corporate corruption: New evidence from the telecom sector,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 22-43.
- Berg, Sanford V & Jiang, Liangliang & Lin, Chen, 2011. "Regulation and corporate corruption: new evidence from the telecom sector," MPRA Paper 32947, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.