Social security and foreign indebtedness in a small open economy
AbstractThis paper investigates the consequences of changes in a small open economy's unfunded social security system for its net foreign asset position. We apply Blanchard's finite horizon framework and show how an increase in the social security system's benefit rate is likely to lead to foreign indebtedness, even when induced retirement is allowed for. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1994
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Open Economies Review.
Volume (Year): 5 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100323
social security; pensions; foreign indebtedness;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hubbard, R Glenn & Judd, Kenneth L, 1987. "Social Security and Individual Welfare: Precautionary Saving, Borrowing Constraints, and the Payroll Tax," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 630-46, September.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985.
"Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-47, April.
- R. Glenn Hubbard & Kenneth L. Judd, 1986. "Liquidity Constraints, Fiscal Policy, and Consumption," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 17(1), pages 1-60.
- Abel, Andrew B, 1985. "Precautionary Saving and Accidental Bequests," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 777-91, September.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1984. "An Examination of Empirical Tests of Social Security and Savings," NBER Working Papers 0730, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kotlikoff, Laurence J, 1979. "Social Security and Equilibrium Capital Intensity," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 93(2), pages 233-53, May.
- William Scarth, 1999. "Alternatives for Raising Living Standards," Quantitative Studies in Economics and Population Research Reports 344, McMaster University.
- William Scarth, 1999. "Alternatives for Raising Living Standards," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 5, McMaster University.
- Nickel, Christiane & Rother, Philipp & Theophilopoulou, Angeliki, 2008. "Population ageing and public pension reforms in a small open economy," Working Paper Series 0863, European Central Bank.
- William Scarth, 2003. "Population Aging, Productivity, and Growth in Living Standards," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 90, McMaster University.
- Malick Souare, 2003. "Macroeconomic Implications of Population Aging and Public Pensions," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 100, McMaster University.
- William Scarth, 1999. "Alternatives for Raising Living Standards," Department of Economics Working Papers 1999-08, McMaster University.
- William Scarth, 2003. "Population Aging, Productivity, and Growth in Living Standards," Quantitative Studies in Economics and Population Research Reports 380, McMaster University.
- Bettendorf, Leon J.H. & Heijdra, Ben J., 2006.
"Population ageing and pension reform in a small open economy with non-traded goods,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 2389-2424, December.
- Leon Bettendorf & Ben Heijdra, 2005. "Population Ageing and Pension Reform in a Small Open Economy with Non-Traded Goods," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-021/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Hoon, Hian Teck & Phelps, Edmund S., 2008.
"Future fiscal and budgetary shocks,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 499-518, November.
- Hian Teck Hoon & Edmund S. Phelps, 2004. "Future fiscal and budgetary shocks," Discussion Papers 0405-01, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Hian Teck Hoon & Edmund S. Phelps, 2007. "Future Fiscal and Budgetary Shocks," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22438, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hian Teck Hoon & Edmund S Phelps, 2004. "Future Fiscal and Budgetary Shocks," Working Papers 20-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Jensen, Svend Erik Hougaard & Bo Nielsen, Soren & Pedersen, Lars Haagen & Sorensen, Peter Birch, 1996. "Tax policy, housing and the labour market: An intertemporal simulation approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 355-382, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.