Macroeconomic Policies and Foreign Asset Accumulation in a Finite-Horizon Model
AbstractThis paper considers foreign asset holdings and macroeconomic policies in a finite-horizon model with real balances and foreign asset holdings in a small open economy. Both the long- and short-run effects of these macroeconomic policies on the economy are reexamined. The main results stand in striking contrast to those of Obstfeld (1981), who used an endogenous time preference. (1) Foreign exchange intervention leads to more foreign asset holdings and more consumption in the long run. However, it affects foreign asset accumulation ambiguously. (2) Inflation results in more foreign asset accumulation and consumption, but the effect of inflation on real balance holdings is ambiguous. (3) Government spending affects foreign asset accumulation ambiguously, and it always reduces real balances and crowds out private consumption.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for AEF in its journal Annals of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 9 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
Foreign asset; Finite-horizon model; Macroeconomic policies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1981.
"Macroeconomic Policy, Exchange-Rate Dynamics, and Optimal Asset Accumulation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1142-61, December.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1981. "Macroeconomic Policy, Exchange-Rate Dynamics, and Optimal Asset Accumulation," NBER Working Papers 0599, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johanna Francis & Tom Kompas, 2001.
"Uzawa's Transformation and Optimal Control Problems with Variable Rates of Time Preference,"
International and Development Economics Working Papers
idec01-12, International and Development Economics.
- Francis, J. & Kompas, T., 1998. "Uzawa's Transformation and Optimal Control Problems With Variable Rates of Time Preference," Papers 354, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1985.
"Domestic and foreign disturbances in an optimizing model of exchange-rate determination,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 151-171, March.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1985. "Domestic and Foreign Disturbances in an Optimizing Model of Exchange- Rate Determination," NBER Working Papers 1407, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buiter, Willem H, 1981.
"Time Preference and International Lending and Borrowing in an Overlapping-Generations Model,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 769-97, August.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1979. "Time Preference and International Lending and Borrowing in an Overlapping-Generations Model," NBER Working Papers 0352, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heijdra, Ben J. & Romp, Ward E., 2005.
"A Life-Cycle Overlapping-Generations Model of the Small Open Economy,"
05C04, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Ben J. Heijdra & Ward E. Romp, 2008. "A life-cycle overlapping-generations model of the small open economy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(1), pages 88-121, January.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1991.
"Intertemporal Dependence, Impatience, and Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
3028, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1990. "Intertemporal dependence, impatience, and dynamics," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 45-75, August.
- Dirk Muir & Douglas Laxton & Dennis P. J. Botman & Andrei Romanov, 2006. "A New-Open-Economy Macro Model for Fiscal Policy Evaluation," IMF Working Papers 06/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1981.
"Aggregate Spending and the Terms of Trade: Is There a Laursen-Metzler Effect?,"
NBER Working Papers
0686, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1982. "Aggregate Spending and the Terms of Trade: Is There a Laursen-Metzler Effect?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 97(2), pages 251-70, May.
- repec:fth:harver:1504 is not listed on IDEAS
- Weil, Philippe, 1991. "Is Money Net Wealth?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(1), pages 37-53, February.
- Chae-Deug Yi, 2003. "An Empirical Analysis of Ricardian Equivalence on Real Exchange Rate and Current Account: Korea," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 61-83.
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1982. "An alternative to steady-state comparisons in perfect foresight models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 55-59.
- Xiaoyong, Cui & Gong, Liutang, 2006. "Laplace transform methods for linearizing multidimensional systems," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 176-182, February.
- Tom Kompas & Omar Abdel-Razeq, 2001. "A Simple Monetary Growth Model with Variable Rates of Time Preference," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec01-10, International and Development Economics.
- Zou, Heng-Fu, 1994.
"Short-run analysis of fiscal policy and the current account in a finite horizon model,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 347-357.
- Heng-fu Zou, 1995. "Short-run analysis of fiscal policy and the current account in a finite horizon model," CEMA Working Papers 95, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985.
"Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-47, April.
- Saint-Paul, G., 1991.
"Fiscal Policy In An Endogenous Growth Model,"
DELTA Working Papers
91-04, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Mendoza, Enrique G, 1995. "The Terms of Trade, the Real Exchange Rate, and Economic Fluctuations," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(1), pages 101-37, February.
- Matsuyama, Kiminori, 1987. "Current account dynamics in a finite horizon model," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 299-313, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.