The Internal and External Impact of Historical Designation on Property Values
AbstractDesignation of historic properties and historic districts is increasingly used as a means to revive central-city neighborhoods and to promote urban economic development. While preservation activities are thought to generate positive externalities for surrounding neighborhoods, these external effects have been difficult to quantify. Using a database of tax-appraisal records for residential properties in Abilene, Texas, this study demonstrates that there are significant, positive externalities associated with historic designation. We perform simple cost-benefit calculations and find that the internal and external benefits more than outweigh the (nonzero) costs associated with historical designation. Moreover, from the city of Abilene's perspective the property-tax incentives provided to historic reinvestment are outweighed by the added property-tax revenue created by the increased value. Copyright 2001 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andrew Narwold, 2006. "Historical Designation and Residential Property Values," ERSA conference papers ersa06p245, European Regional Science Association.
- Raphael W. Bostic & Stanley D. Longhofer & Christian Redfearn, 2006. "Land Leverage: Decomposing Home Price Dynamics," Working Paper 8565, USC Lusk Center for Real Estate.
- Philippe Cyrenne & Robert Fenton & Joseph Warbanski, 2006. "Historic Buildings and Rehabilitation Expenditures: A Panel Data Approach," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 28(4), pages 349-380.
- Angjellari-Dajci, Fiorentina & Boylan, Robert & Cebula, Richard, 2014. "Firm Size, Dual Brokerage, and National Franchise Affiliation of Real Estate Brokerage Firms: Unexpected Results from 2008 to 2013," MPRA Paper 55897, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Kristoffer Moeller & Sevrin Waights & Nicolai Wendland, 2013.
"Game of Zones: The Economics of Conservation Areas,"
SERC Discussion Papers
0143, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Kristoffer Moeller & Sevrin Waights & Nicolai Wendland, 2013. "The economics of conservation area designation," ERSA conference papers ersa13p87, European Regional Science Association.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Kristoffer Möller & Sevrin Waights & Nicolai Wendland, 2014. "Game of Zones: The Political Economy of Conservation Areas," CESifo Working Paper Series 4755, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Kristoffer MÃ¶ller & Sevrin Waights & Nicolai Wendland, 2012. "On prisoner's dilemmas and gilded cages: The economics of heritage preservation," ERSA conference papers ersa12p783, European Regional Science Association.
- Douglas Noonan & Douglas Krupka, 2010.
"Determinants of historic and cultural landmark designation: why we preserve what we preserve,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 1-26, February.
- Noonan, Douglas S. & Krupka, Douglas J., 2008. "Determinants of Historic and Cultural Landmark Designation: Why We Preserve What We Preserve," IZA Discussion Papers 3777, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt, 2010. "Architektur, Ökonomie - Architekturökonomie," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 11(4), pages 340-355, November.
- Hans R. A. Koster & Piet Rietveld & Jos Van Ommeren, 2013. "Historic Amenities, Income and Sorting of Households," SERC Discussion Papers 0124, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Koster, Hans R.A. & van Ommeren, Jos & Rietveld, Piet, 2012. "Bombs, boundaries and buildings," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 631-641.
- Christopher Coombs & Nikias Sarafoglou & William Crosby, 2012. "Property Taxation, Capitalization, and the Economic Implications of Raising Property Taxes," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 151-161, May.
- Noonan, Douglas S. & Krupka, Douglas J., 2009.
"Making – or Picking – Winners: Evidence of Internal and External Price Effects in Historic Preservation Policies,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4110, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Douglas S. Noonan & Douglas J. Krupka, 2011. "Making—or Picking—Winners: Evidence of Internal and External Price Effects in Historic Preservation Policies," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 39(2), pages 379-407, 06.
- Faroek Lazrak & Peter Nijkamp & Piet Rietveld & Jan Rouwendal, 2014. "The market value of cultural heritage in urban areas: an application of spatial hedonic pricing," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 89-114, January.
- Julian Diaz III & J. Andrew Hansz & Matthew L. Cypher & Darren K. Hayunga, 2008. "Conservation Status and Residential Transaction Prices: Initial Evidence from Dallas, Texas," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 30(2), pages 225-248.
- Andrew Narwold & Jonathan Sandy & Charles Tu, 2008. "Historic Designation and Residential Property Values," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 11(1), pages 83-95.
- Paolo Rosato & Lucia Rotaris & Margaretha Breil & Valentina Zanatta, 2008. "Do We Care about Built Cultural Heritage? The Empirical Evidence Based on the Veneto House Market," Working Papers 2008.64, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Robert A. Simons & Youngme Seo, 2011. "Religious Value Halos: The Effect of a Jewish Orthodox Campus on Residential Property Values," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 14(3), pages 330-353.
- Velma Zahirovic-Herbert & Karen Gibler, 2014. "Historic District Influence on House Prices and Marketing Duration," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 48(1), pages 112-131, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.