Hedonic Prices and the Benefits of Public Projects
AbstractS. Scotchmer has shown that, even if the population is homogeneous, hedonic prices do not correctly measure long-run benefit s of a large public project. This paper examines the direction of err ors and shows that the use of cross-sectional land rent differentials leads to overestimation of the benefits. The short-run benefits with fixed lot size are also considered. Copyright 1988 by The Econometric Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 56 (1988)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Other versions of this item:
- Yoshitsugu Kanemoto, 1985. "Hedonic Prices and the Benefits of Public Projects," Working Papers 617, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yoshitsugu Kanemoto, 1985.
"A New Approach to the Estimation of Structural Equations in Hedonic Models,"
595, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Kanemoto, Yoshitsugu & Nakamura, Ryohei, 1986. "A new approach to the estimation of structural equations in hedonic models," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 218-233, March.
- Harrison, David Jr. & Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1978. "Hedonic housing prices and the demand for clean air," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 81-102, March.
- Scotchmer, Suzanne, 1986. "The short-run and long-run benefits of environmental improvement," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 61-81, June.
- Myrick Freeman, A. III, 1974. "On estimating air pollution control benefits from land value studies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 74-83, May.
- Quigley, John M., 1982. "Nonlinear budget constraints and consumer demand: An application to public programs for residential housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 177-201, September.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Mitchell Polinsky, A. & Shavell, Steven, 1976. "Amenities and property values in a model of an urban area," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1-2), pages 119-129.
- Eric Skhiri & Olivier Marchand, 1995. "Prix hédoniques et estimation d'un modèle structurel d'offre et de demande de caractéristiques," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 121(5), pages 127-138.
- Selden, Thomas M. & Wasylenko, Michael J., 1992. "Benefit incidence analysis in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1015, The World Bank.
- Fishman, Kara J. & Leonard, Robert L. & Shah, Farhed A., 1999. "Valuing Water Quality Changes At Connecticut Lakes With Contingent Price Data," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21568, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Holger Sieg & V. Kerry Smith & H. Spencer Banzhaf & Randy Walsh, 2000. "Estimating the General Equilibrium Benefits of Large Policy Changes: The Clean Air Act Revisited," NBER Working Papers 7744, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, James J. & Matzkin, Rosa & Nesheim, Lars, 2009.
"Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of Nonadditive Hedonic Models,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4329, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- James J. Heckman & Rosa L. Matzkin & Lars Nesheim, 2010. "Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of Nonadditive Hedonic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 78(5), pages 1569-1591, 09.
- James J. Heckman & Rosa L. Matzkin & Lars Nesheim, 2009. "Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of Nonadditive Hedonic Models," NBER Working Papers 15226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brian A. Cromwell, 1990. "Prointegrative subsidies and their effect on housing markets: do race- based loans work?," Working Paper 9018, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Oates, Wallace E, 1992. "Environmental Economics: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 675-740, June.
- Han, Seungjin & Yamaguchi, Shintaro, 2012.
"Compensating Wage Differentials in Stable Job Matching Equilibrium,"
Microeconomics.ca working papers
seungjin_han-2012-4, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 27 Feb 2013.
- Seungjin Han & Shintaro Yamaguchi, 2012. "Compensating Wage Differentials in Stable Job Matching Equilibrium," Department of Economics Working Papers 2012-01, McMaster University, revised Feb 2013.
- Seungjin Han & Shintaro Yamaguchi, 2013. "Compensating Wage Differentials in Stable Job Matching Equilibrium," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd12-285, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Amanor-Boadu, Vincent & Burns, Michael, 2008. "Return on Investments for Community Infrastructure Projects? A Foundation for Rural Development Strategy," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6738, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Morisugi, Hisa & Ohno, Eiji, 1995. "Proposal of a benefit incidence matrix for urban development projects," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 461-481, August.
- Pant, Krishna Prasad, 2009. "Price-based Valuation of Rice Genetic Diversity in Nepal," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51642, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dascher, K., 2000.
"Trade, FDI and Congestion: the Small and Very Open Economy,"
00/09, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Kristof Dascher, 2000. "Trade, FDI, and Congestion - The small and very open Economy," Working Papers 200009, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Dascher, Kristof, 2000. "Trade, FDI and Congestion - the Small and very Open Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 2526, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Griffith, Rachel & Nesheim, Lars, 2013. "Hedonic methods for baskets of goods," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 284-287.
- Griffith, Rachel & Nesheim, Lars, 2008.
"Household Willingness to Pay for Organic Products,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6905, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Smith, V. Kerry & Banzhaf, H. Spencer & Walsh, Randy, 2002. "General Equilibrium Benefit Transfers for Spatial Externalities: Revisiting EPA's Prospective Analysis," Discussion Papers dp-02-44, Resources For the Future.
- De Vijlder, Nicolas, 2012. "A macroeconomic analysis of the land market in the count of Flanders and the duchy of Brabant. (fifteenth and sixteenth century)," MPRA Paper 39283, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stefania Tonin & Margherita Turvani, 2011. "Environmental contamination and industrial real estate market: an application of hedonic price method in Italy," ERSA conference papers ersa10p511, European Regional Science Association.
- Nerlove, Marc, 1995. "Hedonic price functions and the measurement of preferences: The case of Swedish wine consumers," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1697-1716, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.