Antecedents of Organizational Commitment in a Chinese Construction Company
AbstractThis study examines the impact of various ethical climate types and job satisfaction on organizational commitment of 144 employees working at a Chinese private construction company. Both caring and independence climate types had a significant positive impact on organizational commitment. Instrumental climate had a significant negative impact on organizational commitment. Other climate types (professional, rules, and efficiency) had no significant impact on organizational commitment. Overall job satisfaction had a significant positive impact on organizational commitment. Overclaiming was significantly correlated with organizational commitment, caring climate, rules climate, and job satisfaction. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2012
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Business Ethics.
Volume (Year): 109 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100281
China; Ethical climate; Job satisfaction; Organizational commitment; Private construction company;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liang-Hung Lin, 2011. "Cultural and Organizational Antecedents of Guanxi: The Chinese Cases," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 99(3), pages 441-451, March.
- Duygu Turker, 2009. "How Corporate Social Responsibility Influences Organizational Commitment," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 89(2), pages 189-204, October.
- David Krueger, 2009. "Ethical Reflections on the Opportunities and Challenges for International Business in China," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 89(2), pages 145-156, November.
- Millissa Cheung & Wei-Ping Wu & Allan Chan & May Wong, 2009. "Supervisor–Subordinate Guanxi and Employee Work Outcomes: The Mediating Role of Job Satisfaction," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 88(1), pages 77-89, April.
- Richard Bernardi & Steven Guptill, 2008. "Social Desirability Response Bias, Gender, and Factors Influencing Organizational Commitment: An International Study," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 81(4), pages 797-809, September.
- William E. Shafer & Zhihong Wang, 2010. "Effects of ethical context on conflict and commitment among Chinese accountants," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(4), pages 377-400, May.
- Scott Vitell & Anusorn Singhapakdi, 2008. "The Role of Ethics Institutionalization in Influencing Organizational Commitment, Job Satisfaction, and Esprit de Corps," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 81(2), pages 343-353, August.
- Arménio Rego & Susana Leal & Miguel Cunha & Jorge Faria & Carlos Pinho, 2010. "How the Perceptions of Five Dimensions of Corporate Citizenship and Their Inter-Inconsistencies Predict Affective Commitment," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 94(1), pages 107-127, June.
- Jay Mulki & Jorge Jaramillo & William Locander, 2008. "Effect of Ethical Climate on Turnover Intention: Linking Attitudinal- and Stress Theory," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 78(4), pages 559-574, April.
- Satish Deshpande & Jacob Joseph & Xiaonan Shu, 2011. "Ethical Climate and Managerial Success in China," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 99(4), pages 527-534, April.
- David A Ralston & Carolyn P Egri & Sally Stewart & Robert H Terpstra & Yu Kaicheng, 1999. "Doing Business in the 21st Century with the New Generation of Chinese Managers: A Study of Generational Shifts in Work Values in China," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(2), pages 415-427, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.