Professor Mirrlees' Contribution to Economic Policy
AbstractThis paper looks at Professor Mirlees' important contribution to the theory and practice of project evaluation. Despite the apparent relevance of this work to practical policy making, the approach has had only limited application. The paper explores why the Little-Mirrlees' technique of project evaluation has been less widely used than was initially anticipated. Given this disappointing use, the paper argues that Professor Mirrlees' main contribution to economic policy lay in the powerful support his work gave to trade liberalization. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1998
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal International Tax and Public Finance.
Volume (Year): 5 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102915
Project evaluation; border prices;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feyzioglu, Tarhan & Swaroop, Vinaya & Min Zhu, 1996. "Foreign aid's impact on public spending," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1610, The World Bank.
- Mirrlees, J. A. & Stern, N. H., 1972. "Fairly good plans," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 268-288, April.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Squire, Lyn & Suthiwart-Narueput, Sethaput, 1997. "Beyond Rate of Return: Reorienting Project Appraisal," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 12(1), pages 35-46, February.
- Stern, Nicholas H, 1972. "Optimum Development in a Dual Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(2), pages 171-84, April.
- Newbery, David M G, 1972. "Public Policy in the Dual Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(326), pages 567-90, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.