Long-run Study of Residential Water Consumption
AbstractThe estimation of dynamic models and themeasure of long-run effects arerare in residential water demand studies. Weshow in this paper that a dynamicmodel of water consumption can be derived froma structural optimisation programsolved by local communities. Thisnonlinear model is estimated on asample of French municipalities and is foundasymptotically equivalent to a dynamic panel data model that is linear in theparameters. The latter includes anoriginal error-component structure that allowsfor a flexible heterogeneity pattern, including both the usual idiosyncraticeffect, and an additional individualeffect affected by a multiplicative time-varyingparameter. As usual GMM estimators for panel data are not consistent inthis case, we propose a new GMMprocedure that yields consistent and efficientestimates of short- and long-runprice elasticities (respectively −0.26 and−0.40). Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2003
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Ahn, Seung C. & Schmidt, Peter, 1997. "Efficient estimation of dynamic panel data models: Alternative assumptions and simplified estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 309-321.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1988.
"Estimating Vector Autoregressions with Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1371-95, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ahn, Seung C. & Schmidt, Peter, 1995. "Efficient estimation of models for dynamic panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 5-27, July.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995.
"Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Alain Carpentier & Robert D. Weaver, 1997. "Damage Control Productivity: Why Econometrics Matters," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 47-61.
- Patrick Point, 1993. "Partage de la ressource en eau et demande d'alimentation en eau potable," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(4), pages 849-862.
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January.
- Lars Gårn Hansen, 1996. "Water and Energy Price Impacts on Residential Water Demand in Copenhagen," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 72(1), pages 66-79.
- Henrique Monteiro, 2010. "Residential Water Demand in Portugal: checking for efficiency-based justifications for increasing block tariffs," Working Papers Series 1 ercwp0110, ISCTE-IUL, Business Research Unit (BRU-IUL).
- María Angeles García Valiñas, 2005. "Promotion and remuneration of university professors: from the LRU to the COU," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 172(1), pages 119-143, June.
- R. Quentin Grafton & Michael B. Ward & Hang To & Tom Kompas, 2011. "Determinants of Residential Water Consumption: Evidence and Analysis from a Ten-country Household Survey," Crawford School Research Papers 1114, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Ben Zaied Younes, 2013. "A long-run analysis of residential water consumption," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(1), pages 536-544.
- Roberto Martínez-Espiñeira, 2007.
"An estimation of residential water demand using co-integration and error correction tec hniques,"
Journal of Applied Economics,
Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 161-184, May.
- Martinez-Espineira, Roberto, 2005. "An Estimation of Residential Water Demand Using Co-Integration and Error Correction Techniques," MPRA Paper 615, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2006.
- Roberto Martinez Espineira, 2004. "An Estimation of Residential Water Demand Using Co-integration and Error Correction Techniques," Others 0410002, EconWPA.
- Schleich, Joachim & Hillenbrand, Thomas, 2009.
"Determinants of residential water demand in Germany,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(6), pages 1756-1769, April.
- Schleich, Joachim & Hillenbrand, Thomas, 2007. "Determinants of residential water demand in Germany," Working Papers "Sustainability and Innovation" S3/2007, Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI).
- Marie-Estelle Binet & Younes Ben Zaïd, 2011. "A Seasonal Integration and Cointegration Analysis of Residential Water Demand in Tunisia," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201122, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- David R. Bell & Ronald C. Griffin, 2011. "Urban Water Demand with Periodic Error Correction," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 87(3), pages 528-544.
- Worthington, Andrew C., 2010. "Commercial and Industrial Water Demand Estimation: Theoretical and Methodological Guidelines for Applied Economics Research/Estimación de la demanda de agua comercial e industrial: pautas teóricas y," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 28, pages 237-258, Agosto.
- Maria de los Angeles Garcia Valinas, 2006. "Analysing rationing policies: drought and its effects on urban users' welfare (Analysing rationing policies during drought)," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 955-965.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.