Storage and Viability of a Fishery with Resource and Market Dephased Seasonalities
AbstractIn this study we analyse the role of the storageregulation in a fishery's production process when theresource exploited and the market to which theproduction is exported are characterized by seasonaldephased oscillations. For this purpose we built up adynamic model drawn from the French Guyana shrimpfishery example. The underlying objective of the modelis not the maximisation of a given criterion (as wouldbe in the optimal control approach), but merely themaintenance of the fishery's economical viability. Thefundamental principle is here to try to preserve asmany as possible viable control options. Theconditions to achieve and maintain this viability arecaptured in a certain number of constraints. Theanalysis points out periods and situations within theseason where the fishermen must anticipate theevolution of their storage to avoid violating thoseviability constraints. The study also indicates howthe fishery's viability can be ensured even if theexploitation costs exceed the commercial value of thelandings for a finite part of the year. However, whenthe resource's and/or market's oscillations are toolarge, the fishery may be not viable any longer and itappears that the crisis can not be removed byinvesting in larger storage capacities. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
dynamic model; fisheries economics; storage regulation; viability analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dudley, Norman & Waugh, Geoffrey, 1980. "Exploitation of a single-cohort fishery under risk: A simulation-optimization approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 234-255, September.
- Ola Flaaten, 1983. "The Optimal Harvesting of a Natural Resource with Seasonal Growth," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 16(3), pages 447-62, August.
- Deaton, Angus & Laroque, Guy, 1992.
"On the Behaviour of Commodity Prices,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Deaton, A. & Laroque, G., 1989. "On The Behavior Of Commodity Prices," Papers 145, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Deaton, A. & Laroque, G., 1989. "On The Behavior Of Commodity Prices," Papers 145, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Angus Deaton & Guy Laroque, 1990. "On The Behavior of Commodity Prices," NBER Working Papers 3439, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bockstael, Nancy E. & Opaluch, James J., 1983. "Discrete modelling of supply response under uncertainty: The case of the fishery," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 125-137, June.
- McKelvey, Robert, 1983. "The fishery in a fluctuating environment: Coexistence of specialist and generalist fishing vessels in a multipurpose fleet," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 287-309, December.
- Bene, C. & Doyen, L. & Gabay, D., 2001. "A viability analysis for a bio-economic model," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 385-396, March.
- Bene, Christophe & Cadren, Muriel & Lantz, Frederic, 2000. "Impact of cultured shrimp industry on wild shrimp fisheries: analysis of price determination mechanisms and market dynamics," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 55-68, June.
- Martinet, Vincent & Thebaud, Olivier & Doyen, Luc, 2007.
"Defining viable recovery paths toward sustainable fisheries,"
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 411-422, December.
- Vincent Martinet & Olivier ThÃ©baud & Luc Doyen, 2007. "Defining viable recovery path toward sustainable fisheries," Working Papers 19853, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Vincent Martinet & Michel de Lara & Julio Peña & Héctor Ramirez, 2010. "Evaluation of Management Procedures: Application to Chilean Jack Mackerel Fishery," ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers inv255, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Huang, Ling & Smith, Martin D., 2011. "Management of an annual fishery in the presence of ecological stress: The case of shrimp and hypoxia," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(4), pages 688-697, February.
- Martinet, Vincent & Blanchard, Fabian, 2009.
"Fishery externalities and biodiversity: Trade-offs between the viability of shrimp trawling and the conservation of Frigatebirds in French Guiana,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(12), pages 2960-2968, October.
- Vincent Martinet & Fabian Blanchard, 2009. "Fishery externalities and biodiversity: trade-offs between the viability of shrimp trawling and the conservation of Frigatebirds in French Guiana," Working Papers 32090, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Baumgärtner, Stefan & Quaas, Martin F., 2009.
"Ecological-economic viability as a criterion of strong sustainability under uncertainty,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(7), pages 2008-2020, May.
- Stefan Baumgärtner & Martin F. Quaas, 2007. "Ecological-economic viability as a criterion of strong sustainability under uncertainty," Working Paper Series in Economics 67, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Bene, Christophe & Cadren, Muriel & Lantz, Frederic, 2000. "Impact of cultured shrimp industry on wild shrimp fisheries: analysis of price determination mechanisms and market dynamics," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 23(1), June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.