Updating ARMA predictions for temporal aggregates
AbstractThis article develops and extends previous investigations on the temporal aggregation of ARMA predications. Given a basic ARMA model for disaggregated data, two sets of predictors may be constructed for future temporal aggregates: predictions based on models utilizing aggregated data or on models constructed from disaggregated data for which forecasts are updated as soon as the new information becomes available. We show that considerable gains in efficiency based on mean-square-error-type criteria can be obtained for short-term predications when using models based on updated disaggregated data. However, as the prediction horizon increases, the gain in using updated disaggregated data diminishes substantially. In addition to theoretical results associated with forecast efficiency of ARMA models, we also illustrate our findings with two well-known time series. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Forecasting.
Volume (Year): 23 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andrea Silvestrini & Matteo Salto & Laurent Moulin & David Veredas, 2008.
"Monitoring and forecasting annual public deficit every month: the case of France,"
Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 493-524, June.
- SILVESTRINI, Andrea & SALTo, Matteo & MOULIN, Laurent & VEREDAS, David, . "Monitoring and forecasting annual public deficit every month: the case of France," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2019, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ramirez, Octavio A., 2012. "Conclusive Evidence on the Benefits of Temporal Disaggregation to Improve the Precision of Time Series Model Forecasts," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 123470, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Andrea, SILVESTRINI, 2005.
"Temporal aggregaton of univariate linear time series models,"
Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques)
2005044, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- SILVESTRINI, Andrea & VEREDAS, David, 2005. "Temporal aggregation of univariate linear time series models," CORE Discussion Papers 2005059, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ramirez, Octavio A., 2011. "Conclusive Evidence on the Benefits of Temporal Disaggregation to Improve the Precision of Time Series Model Forecasts," Faculty Series 113520, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.