Market Structure and Innovation Races, An Empirical Assessment Using Indirect Inference
AbstractBased on an extended game-theoretic innovation-race model, we derive some Schumpeterian hypotheses of the impact of technological rivalry, market power, technological opportunities and demand expectations on the timing of product and process innovations. Using innovation data at the firm level in the German industrial sector, we estimate various versions of an econometric specification of the model with dichotomous innovation data by using a univariate binary probit model with qualitative regressor variables estimated applying indirect inference. Our empirical results are consistent with the derived hypotheses that intense rivalry, favorable technological opportunities and high demand expectations spur innovative activity, while the effect of market power is ambiguous.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics in its journal Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 225 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Licher Straße 74, 35394 Gießen
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
Innovation races; market structure; indirect inference estimation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- C42 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Survey Methods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Tom & Wilde, Louis L, 1980. "Market Structure and Innovation: A Reformulation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(2), pages 429-36, March.
- Terza, Joseph V., 1987. "Estimating linear models with ordinal qualitative regressors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 275-291, March.
- Martin Kukuk & Manfred Stadler, 2000.
"Financing Constraints and the Timing of Innovations in the German Services Sector,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0893, Econometric Society.
- Martin Kukuk & Manfred Stadler, 2001. "Financing Constraints and the Timing of Innovations in the German Services Sector," Empirica, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 277-292, September.
- Kukuk, Martin & Stadler, Manfred, 1999. "Financing constraints and the timing of innovations in the German services sector," TÃ¼binger DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 159, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- Delbono, Flavio & Denicolo, Vincenzo, 1991.
"Incentives to Innovate in a Cournot Oligopoly,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(3), pages 951-61, August.
- Flaig, Gebhard & Stadler, Manfred, 1994.
"Success Breeds Success. The Dynamics of the Innovation Process,"
Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 55-68.
- Flaig, Gebhard & Stadler, Manfred, 1994. "Success breeds success. The dynamics of the innovation process," Munich Reprints in Economics 20366, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Loury, Glenn C, 1979.
"Market Structure and Innovation,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 93(3), pages 395-410, August.
- Kofi O. Nti, 1999. "Stability in the patent race contest of Lee and Wilde," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 237-245.
- Cohen, Wesley M. & Levin, Richard C., 1989. "Empirical studies of innovation and market structure," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 1059-1107 Elsevier.
- Güth, Werner & Pull, Kerstin & Stadler, Manfred, 2012. "Creativity, analytical skills, personality traits, and innovative capability: A lab experiment," University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance 44, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
- Aschhoff, B. & Crass, D. & Doherr, T. & Hud, M. & Hünermund, P. & Iferd, Y. & Köhler, C. & Peters, B. & Rammer, C. & Schubert, T. & Schwiebacher, F., 2014. "Dokumentation zur Innovationserhebung 2013," ZEW Dokumentationen 14-01, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Agnes Bäker & Werner Güth & Kerstin Pull & Manfred Stadler, 2011. "Creativity, Analytical Skills, Personality Traits, and Innovation Game Behavior in the Lab: An Experiment," Jena Economic Research Papers 2011-056, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.