Financing Constraints and the Timing of Innovations in the German Services Sector
AbstractUsing newly available data at the firm level, this study provides convincing evidence of the importance of financial constraints in explaining the timing of innovations in the German services sector. Based on a dynamic model of firms' optimal R&D behavior under financial constraints, we estimate various versions of an econometric specification of the model with dichotomous innovation data by using a univariate ordered probit model and a newly developed modification of it. The modified econometric estimation strategies takes into account that some of the regressors are measured on an ordinal scale. Our results are consistent with the theoretical view that, because of capital markets imperfections, internal finance should be an important determinant of innovative activities by private firms in the manufacturing sector as well as in the services sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers with number 0893.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Martin Kukuk & Manfred Stadler, 2001. "Financing Constraints and the Timing of Innovations in the German Services Sector," Empirica, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 277-292, September.
- Kukuk, Martin & Stadler, Manfred, 1999. "Financing constraints and the timing of innovations in the German services sector," TÃ¼binger DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 159, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- C4 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kamien,Morton I. & Schwartz,Nancy L., 1982. "Market Structure and Innovation," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521293853, December.
- Dietmar HARHOFF, 1998.
"Are there Financing Constraints for R&D and Investment in German Manufacturing Firms,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 49-50, pages 421-456.
- Harhoff, Dietmar, 1996. "Are there financing constraints for R&D and investment in German manufacturing firms?," ZEW Discussion Papers 96-28, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Dietmar Harhoff, 1997. "Are There Financing Constraints for R&D and Investment in German Manufacturing Firms?," CIG Working Papers FS IV 97-45, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Steve Bond & Dietmar Harhoff & John Van Reenen, 1999.
"Investment, R&D and financial constraints in Britain and Germany,"
IFS Working Papers
W99/05, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Stephen Bond & Dietmar Harhoff & John Van Reenen, 2010. "Investment, R&D and Financial Constraints in Britain and Germany," NBER Chapters, in: Contributions in Memory of Zvi Griliches, pages 433-460 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen BOND & Dietmar HARHOFF & John VAN REENEN, 2005. "Investment, R&D and Financial Constraints in Britain and Germany," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 79-80, pages 433-460.
- Stephen Bond & Dietmar Harhoff & John Van Reenen, 2003. "Investment, R&D and Financial Constraints in Britain and Germany," CEP Discussion Papers dp0595, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Veall, Michael R & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1996. " Pseudo-R-[superscript 2] Measures for Some Common Limited Dependent Variable Models," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 241-59, September.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- R. Glenn Hubbard, 1997.
"Capital-Market Imperfections and Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
5996, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Devereux & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1989.
"Investment, Finacial Factors and Cash Flow: Evidence From UK Panel Data,"
NBER Working Papers
3116, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Devereux & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1990. "Investment, Financial Factors, and Cash Flow: Evidence from U.K. Panel Data," NBER Chapters, in: Asymmetric Information, Corporate Finance, and Investment, pages 279-306 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1989.
"Corporate structure, liquidity, and investment: evidence from Japanese industrial groups,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1991. "Corporate Structure, Liquidity, and Investment: Evidence from Japanese Industrial Groups," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(1), pages 33-60, February.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Gourieroux, C & Monfort, A & Renault, E, 1993.
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages S85-118, Suppl. De.
- Charles P. Himmelberg & Bruce C. Petersen, 1991.
"R&D and internal finance: a panel study of small firms in high-tech industries,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Himmelberg, Charles P & Petersen, Bruce C, 1994. "R&D and Internal Finance: A Panel Study of Small Firms in High-Tech Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 38-51, February.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- Kukuk, Martin, 1998. "Indirect estimation of linear models with ordinal regressors: A Monte Carlo study and some empirical illustrations," TÃ¼binger DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 155, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1996. "Financial Constraints and Investment: Methodological Issues and International Evidence," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 70-89, Summer.
- Flaig, Gebhard & Stadler, Manfred, 1994. "Success Breeds Success. The Dynamics of the Innovation Process," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 55-68.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Sendhil Mullainathan & Marianne Bertrand, 2001. "Do People Mean What They Say? Implications for Subjective Survey Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 67-72, May.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2010. "Financial constraints: Are there differences between manufacturing and services?," GEMF Working Papers 2010-16, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2009.
"No Deep Pockets: Some stylized results on firms' financial constraints,"
GEMF Working Papers
2009-06, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Carlos Carreira & Filipe Silva, 2010. "No Deep Pockets: Some Stylized Empirical Results On Firms' Financial Constraints," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(4), pages 731-753, 09.
- Spiros Bougheas & Holger Görg & Eric Strobl, 2003. "Is R & D Financially Constrained? Theory and Evidence from Irish Manufacturing," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 159-174, March.
- Peters, Bettina, 2005.
"Persistence of Innovation: Stylised Facts and Panel Data Evidence,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
05-81, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bettina Peters, 2009. "Persistence of innovation: stylised facts and panel data evidence," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 226-243, April.
- Bettina Peters, 2005. "Persistence of Innovation: Stylised Facts and Panel Data Evidence," Development and Comp Systems 0511021, EconWPA.
- Bettina Peters, 2006. "Persistence of Innovation Stylised Facts and Panel Data Evidence," DRUID Working Papers 06-30, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Güth, Werner & Pull, Kerstin & Stadler, Manfred, 2012. "Creativity, analytical skills, personality traits, and innovative capability: A lab experiment," University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance 44, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
- Martin Kukuk & Manfred Stadler, 2005. "Market Structure and Innovation Races, An Empirical Assessment Using Indirect Inference," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 225(4), pages 427-440, July.
- Agnes Bäker & Werner Güth & Kerstin Pull & Manfred Stadler, 2011. "Creativity, Analytical Skills, Personality Traits, and Innovation Game Behavior in the Lab: An Experiment," Jena Economic Research Papers 2011-056, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Christian Schröder, 2009. "Financial System and Innovations-Determinants of Early Stage Venture Capital in Europe," Schumpeter Discussion Papers sdp09004, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- Christian Schröder, 2009. "Financial System and Innovations: Determinants of Early Stage Venture Capital in Europe," EIIW Discussion paper disbei167, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.