Foreign trade trends in the Hungarian-Romanian turnover of agricultural products
AbstractThe accession to the European Union (EU) has brought a lot of advantages for all the new member states (NMS). The general and wide range implementation of economic integration gave the hope of economic prosperity and macroeconomic stability for all the new member states. In the case of foreign trade of agricultural products the possibility of expansion has opened after EU integration. The chance to build and stabilize new trading relations was especially important for the small countries with an open economy. In general, it can be concluded from the analysis of EU membership that the trade among new member countries has substantially expanded as a result of increasing trading activities in relation to member states which integrated into the EU in 2004 and also due to the elimination of former trading barriers and a growing common internal market. Starting from this, the examination of trading of goods between particular countries is also justified. The important aspects in considering the possible solutions for the consequences of the economic crisis in 2008 are: the strengthening of regional markets, the utilization of geographical conditions and the increasing role of comparative advantages. The present study details how the Hungarian-Romanian agricultural trade has changed in the frames of bilateral trading activities due to the second wave of Eastern expansion and what tendencies can be observed. In regards to trading of goods, it is reviewed which products show concentration and which products can be characterized with comparative advantages.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Centre for European Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University in its journal Eastern Journal of European Studies.
Volume (Year): 4(1) (2013)
Issue (Month): (June)
agricultural foreign trade; Hungary; Romania; EU; export specialization; comparative advantage;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- FertÅ‘, Imre & Hubbard, Lionel J., 2005.
"Az agrÃ¡rkereskedelem dinamikÃ¡ja - A csatlakozÃ³ orszÃ¡gok esete
[The dynamics of agri-food trade patterns - the accession countries case]," KÃ¶zgazdasÃ¡gi Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), KÃ¶zgazdasÃ¡gi Szemle AlapÃtvÃ¡ny (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(1), pages 24-38.
- JÃ¡mbor, Attila, 2011.
"Az agrÃ¡rkereskedelem vÃ¡ltozÃ¡sa MagyarorszÃ¡g Ã©s az EurÃ³pai UniÃ³ kÃ¶zÃ¶tt a csatlakozÃ¡s utÃ¡n
[The post-accession change in agricultural trading between Hungary and the EU]," KÃ¶zgazdasÃ¡gi Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), KÃ¶zgazdasÃ¡gi Szemle AlapÃtvÃ¡ny (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(9), pages 775-791.
- Drabik, Dusan & Bartova, Lubica, 2008. "Agri-food Trade Specialisation Pattern in the New EU Member States," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium, European Association of Agricultural Economists 44124, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Å tefan Bojnec & Imre FertÅ‘, 2012. "Complementarities of trade advantage and trade competitiveness measures," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 399-408, February.
- Bojnec, Stefan & Ferto, Imre, 2009. "Agro-food trade competitiveness of Central European and Balkan countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 417-425, October.
- Bent Dalum & Keld Laursen & Gert Villumsen, 1998. "Structural Change in OECD Export Specialisation Patterns: de-specialisation and 'stickiness'," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 423-443.
- Barath, Lajos & Nagy, Zsuzsanna & Szabo, Gabor G., 2010. "The correlation between the agricultural productivity and the export performance of the agro-food foreign trade in the VisegrÃƒÂ¡d Group countries following accession to the European Union," Studies in Agricultural Economics, Research Institute for Agricultural Economics, Research Institute for Agricultural Economics, issue 112, July.
- Judit KISS, 2011. "Some impacts of the EU accession on the new member statesâ€™ agriculture," Eastern Journal of European Studies, Centre for European Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Centre for European Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, vol. 2, pages 49-60, December.
- Bartosova, Dasa & Bartova, Lubica & Fidrmuc, Jarko, 2008. "EU Enlargement Implications on the New Member States Agri-food Trade," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium, European Association of Agricultural Economists 44122, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alupului Ciprian).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.