On the Estimation of Simultaneous-Equations Error-Components Models with an Application to a Model of Developing Country Foreign Trade
AbstractAn empirical balance of payments model involving the demand and supply of imports and exports for 31 developing countries is estimated utilizing panel data over 1964-87. In order to compute error-components 3SLS estimates of this model, which requires different instruments for different equations, we propose a generalization of the Fuller-Battese transformation to obtain GMM estimates. Our empirical results suggest that very little of the short-run adjustment in external imbalances is likely to be achieved by exchange rate policies, and most of the burden must fall on aggregate demand management. Copyright 1993 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 8 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (Jan.-March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fabio Pammolli & Nicola Carmine Salerno, 2008. "Demografia, occupazione, produttività: il federalismo e la sfida della crescita nel Mezzogiorno," Working Papers 02-2008, Competitività Regole Mecati (CERM).
- Nadezhda Ivanova, 2007. "Estimation of the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate in Russia: Trade-Balance Approach," Working Papers w0102, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Gopinath, Munisamy & Pick, Daniel H. & Li, Yonghai, 2002. "Does Industrial Concentration Raise Productivity In Food Industries?," 2002 Annual Meeting, July 28-31, 2002, Long Beach, California 36634, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Robert Anderton & Badi H. Baltagi & Frauke Skudelny & Nuno Sousa, 2007.
"Intra- and Extra-Euro Area Import Demand for Manufactures,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 53(3), pages 221-241.
- Anderton, Robert & Baltagi, Badi H. & Skudelny, Frauke & Sousa, Nuno, 2005. "Intra- and extra-euro area import demand for manufactures," Working Paper Series 0532, European Central Bank.
- Antonis Adam & Margarita Katsimi & Thomas Moutos, 2008.
"Inequality and the Import Demand Function,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2196, CESifo Group Munich.
- Davies, Stephen P. & Erickson, Kenneth W. & Vickner, Steven S. & Hoag, Dana L. & Nehring, Richard F., 2005. "An Error-Components Three-Stage Least-Squares Model of Investment Allocation by Farm Households," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19249, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Laszlo, Sonia, 2008.
"Education, Labor Supply, and Market Development in Rural Peru,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2421-2439, November.
- Sonia Laszlo, 2003. "Education, Labour Supply and Market Development in Rural Peru," Development and Comp Systems 0312005, EconWPA.
- Laura Magazzini & Fabio Pammolli & Nicola Carmine Salerno, 2006. "La spesa farmaceutica pubblica - Analisi degli ultimi anni e indicazioni per una nuova politica economica," Working Papers 03-2006, Competitività Regole Mecati (CERM).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.