Estimates of semiparametric equivalence scales
AbstractWithin the semiparametric framework introduced by Pendakur (1999) we introduce a new loss function to estimate equivalence scales. This loss function uses all available information from the total expenditures of both the reference and nonreference households and as such it produces more reliable estimates. Using Canadian family expenditure data for 1996 we apply this loss function to obtain equivalence scale estimates for a variety of expenditure share categories such as food, fuel and clothing. Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 21 (2006)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lyssiotou, Panayiota & Pashardes, Panos & Stengos, Thanasis, 1999. "Preference Heterogeneity and the Rank of Demand Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(2), pages 248-52, April.
- Pashardes, Panos, 1995. "Equivalence scales in a rank-3 demand system," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 143-158, September.
- Browning, Martin, 1992. "Children and Household Economic Behavior," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(3), pages 1434-75, September.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1991. "The Rank of Demand Systems: Theory and Nonparametric Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 711-30, May.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1989. "Household equivalence scales and welfare comparisons," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 377-391, August.
- Yatchew, Adonis & Sun, Yiguo & Deri, Catherine, 2003. "Efficient Estimation of Semiparametric Equivalence Scales with Evidence from South Africa," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(2), pages 247-57, April.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Gozalo, Pedro L., 1997. "Nonparametric bootstrap analysis with applications to demographic effects in demand functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 357-393, December.
- Richard Blundell & Alan Duncan & Krishna Pendakur, 1998. "Semiparametric estimation and consumer demand," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(5), pages 435-461.
- Pashardes, Panos, 1991. "Contemporaneous and intertemporal child costs : Equivalent expenditure vs. equivalent income scales," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 191-213, July.
- Muellbauer, John, 1974. "Household composition, Engel curves and welfare comparisons between households : A duality approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 103-122, August.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2007:i:21:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wilke, Ralf A., 2004.
"Semiparametric Estimation of Consumption Based Equivalence Scales: The Case of Germany,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
04-53, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Ralf A. Wilke, 2006. "Semi-parametric estimation of consumption-based equivalence scales: the case of Germany," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(6), pages 781-802.
- Wilke, Ralf A., 2005. "Semiparametric Estimation of Consumption Based Equivalence Scales: The Case of Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-53 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Lyssiotou, Panayiota, 2012. "Demographics and demand: Evaluation of alternative functional forms," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(3), pages 627-631.
- Bütikofer, Aline & Gerfin, Michael, 2009.
"The Economies of Scale of Living Together and How They Are Shared: Estimates Based on a Collective Household Model,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4327, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Aline Bütikofer & Michael Gerfin, 2009. "The economies of scale of living together and how they are shared - Estimates based on a collective household model," Diskussionsschriften dp0903, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.