Preference Heterogeneity and the Rank of Demand Systems
AbstractThis article examines the effect of preference heterogeneity on nonparametric and parametric tests of the rank of demand systems. Using samples of households drawn from the U.K. Family Expenditure Survey, the authors find that preference heterogeneity increases the rank of demand systems. When the effects of household characteristics on demand are removed by semiparametric techniques, a rank-three demand system appears to be an adequate empirical specification for all samples.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 17 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Panos Pashardes & Soteroula Hajispyrou, 2002. "Consumer Demand and Welfare under Increasing Block Pricing," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 0207, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2007:i:21:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lyssiotou, Panayiota & Pashardes, Panos & Stengos, Thanasis, 2002.
"Nesting quadratic logarithmic demand systems,"
Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 369-374, August.
- Unayama, Takashi, 2004. "Upward bias in the consumer price index under the zero-inflation economy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 139-144, October.
- Panayiota Lyssiotou & Panos Pashardes & Thanasis Stengos, 2008. "Demographic versus expenditure flexibility in Engel curves," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 257-271, March.
- Panos Hatzipanayotou & Sajal Lahiri & Michael S. Michael, 2002.
"Reforms of Environmental Policies in the Presence of Cross-border Pollution and Two-stage Clean-up,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
638, CESifo Group Munich.
- Panos Hatzipanayotou & Sajal Lahiri & Michael S. Michael, 2002. "Reforms of Environmental Policies in the Presence of Cross-border Pollution and two Stage Clean Up," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 0203, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Hatzipanayotou, Panos & Sajal Lahiri & Michael S.Michael, 2002. "Reforms of Environmental Policies in the presence of Cross-border Pollution and Two-stage Clean-up," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 97, Royal Economic Society.
- Thanasis Stengos & Dianqin Wang, 2007. "Testing for Shape Invariance of Semiparametric Equivalence Scales," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(21), pages 1-11.
- Lyssiotou, Panayiota & Pashardes, Panos & Stengos, Thanasis, 1999. "Testing the rank of Engel curves with endogenous expenditure," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 61-65, July.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2000.
"A Rational Rank Four Demand System,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
463, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 04 Apr 2003.
- Yiguo Sun & Thanasis Stengos & Dianqin Wang, 2006.
"Estimates of semiparametric equivalence scales,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(5), pages 629-639.
- Michael Haliassos, 2002. "Stockholding: Recent Lessons from Theory and Computations," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 0206, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.