Projection pursuit regression and disaggregate productivity effects: the case of the Indian blast furnaces
AbstractProductivity of blast furnaces in India is studied by disaggregating the production process and the utilization process. A dimension-reducing nonparametric approach-projection pursuit regression-is used. We find that productivity can be increased significantly by improving the quality of coal. There is no evidence that executives have a positive marginal product. The production workers have a negative marginal product for the production process and a positive one for the utilization process. But the training of executives has a positive effect whereas that of the production workers has a negative effect on productivity. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 19 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Doms, Mark E, 1996.
"Estimating Capital Efficiency Schedules within Production Functions,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(1), pages 78-92, January.
- Mark E Doms, 1992. "Estimating Capital Efficiency Schedules Within Production Functions," Working Papers 92-4, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Powell, James L & Stock, James H & Stoker, Thomas M, 1989. "Semiparametric Estimation of Index Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1403-30, November.
- repec:fth:starer:9816 is not listed on IDEAS
- Das, Sanghamitra, 1991. "A semiparametric structural analysis of the idling of cement kilns," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 235-256, December.
- Boyan Jovanovic, 1998.
"Vintage Capital and Inequality,"
NBER Working Papers
6416, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Armstrong & Simon Cowan & John Vickers, 1994. "Regulatory Reform: Economic Analysis and British Experience," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262510790, June.
- Jovanovic, B. & Nyarko, Y., 1996.
"Learning by Doing and the Choice of Technology,"
96-25, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- John Rust & Geoffrey Rothwell, 1995.
"On the Optimal Lifetime of Nuclear Power Plants,"
9512002, EconWPA, revised 15 Dec 1995.
- Ichimura, H., 1991. "Semiparametric Least Squares (sls) and Weighted SLS Estimation of Single- Index Models," Papers 264, Minnesota - Center for Economic Research.
- Zvi Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1995.
"Production Functions: The Search for Identification,"
NBER Working Papers
5067, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1995. "Production Functions: The Search for Identification," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1719, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Z, Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1997. "Production Functions : The Search for Identification," Working Papers 97-30, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Rust, John, 1987. "Optimal Replacement of GMC Bus Engines: An Empirical Model of Harold Zurcher," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 999-1033, September.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1996. "Production Function Estimation: Reviving the Primal," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 431-38, March.
- Richard Blundell & Alan Duncan, 1998. "Kernel Regression in Empirical Microeconomics," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 62-87.
- repec:fth:starer:98-16 is not listed on IDEAS
- Horowitz, Joel L., 1993. "Semiparametric estimation of a work-trip mode choice model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 49-70, July.
- Das, Satya P., 2001. "Trade and relative wages: The role of supervisory function by skilled workers," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 45-65, January.
- Satya P. Das, 2011. "The political economy of revenue pressure and tax collection efficiency," Indian Growth and Development Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(1), pages 38-52, April.
- Sanghamitra Das & Kala M. Krishna & Sergey Lychagin & Rohini Somanathan, 2011. "Lifting the Veil: The Face of TFP in an Indian Rail Mill," CESifo Working Paper Series 3515, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kortelainen, Mika, 2008. "Estimation of semiparametric stochastic frontiers under shape constraints with application to pollution generating technologies," MPRA Paper 9257, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.