Back on the Rails: Competition and Productivity in State-owned Industry
AbstractThe importance of Total Factor Productivity (TFP) in explaining output changes is widely accepted, yet its sources are not well understood. We use a proprietary data set on the floor-level operations at the Bhilai Rail and Structural Mill (RSM) in India to understand the determinants of changes in plant productivity between January 2000 and March 2003. [Working Paper No. 184]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:2835.
Date of creation: Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
TotalFactorProductivity(TFP); Plantleveldata; Competitivenessandtrade;
Other versions of this item:
- Sanghamitra Das & Kala Krishna & Sergey Lychagin & Rohini Somanathan, 2013. "Back on the Rails: Competition and Productivity in State-Owned Industry," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 136-62, January.
- Rohini Somanathan & Kala Krishna & Sergey Lychagin & Sanghamitra Das, 2010. "Back on the Rails -- Competition and Productivity in State-owned Industry," Working papers 184, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Sanghamitra Das & Kala Krishna & Sergey Lychagin & Rohini Somanathan, 2010. "Back on the Rails: Competition and Productivity in State-owned Industry," NBER Working Papers 15976, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
- L32 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Public Enterprises; Public-Private Enterprises
- L61 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Metals and Metal Products; Cement; Glass; Ceramics
- O - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-09-25 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.