Reference-Point Formation and Updating
AbstractReference-dependent preferences have been well accepted in decision sciences, experimental economics, behavioral finance, and marketing. However, we still know very little about how decision makers form and update their reference points given a sequence of information. Our paper provides some novel experiments in a financial context to advance the understanding of reference-point formation over time. Our subjects' reference price is best described as a combination of the first and the last price of the time series, with intermediate prices receiving smaller and nondecaying weights. Hence, reference prices are not recursive. We provide a parsimonious formula to predict the reference points, which we test out-of-sample. The fit of the model is reasonably good. This paper was accepted by George Wu, decision analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 57 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
reference-point formation; reference-dependent preferences; disposition effect; probability weighting;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lefebvre, Mathieu & Vieider, Ferdinand M., 2011. "Risk Taking of Executives under Different Incentive Contracts: Experimental Evidence," Discussion Papers in Economics 12210, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Mattos, Fabio & Poirier, Jamie, 2013. "Formation and adaptation of reference prices in grain marketing: An experimental study," Working Papers 148591, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
- Mattos, Fabio, 2012. "Do producers exhibit disposition effect? Evidence from grain marketing," Working Papers 125279, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
- Pahlke, Julius & Strasser, Sebastian & Vieider, Ferdinand M., 2012. "Responsibility effects in decision making under risk," Discussion Papers, WZB Junior Research Group Risk and Development SP II 2012-402, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Mattos, Fabio & Poirier, Jamie, 2013. "Formation and Adaptation of Reference Prices in Grain Marketing: An Experimental Study," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149672, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Zhang, Juan & Gou, Qinglong & Liang, Liang & Huang, Zhimin, 2013. "Supply chain coordination through cooperative advertising with reference price effect," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 345-353.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.