Reference-Point Formation and Updating
AbstractReference-dependent preferences have been well accepted in decision sciences, experimental economics, behavioral finance, and marketing. However, we still know very little about how decision makers form and update their reference points given a sequence of information. Our paper provides some novel experiments in a financial context to advance the understanding of reference-point formation over time. Our subjects' reference price is best described as a combination of the first and the last price of the time series, with intermediate prices receiving smaller and nondecaying weights. Hence, reference prices are not recursive. We provide a parsimonious formula to predict the reference points, which we test out-of-sample. The fit of the model is reasonably good. This paper was accepted by George Wu, decision analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 57 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
reference-point formation; reference-dependent preferences; disposition effect; probability weighting;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Urs Fischbacher & Gerson Hoffmann & Simeon Schudy, 2014.
"The causal effect of stop-loss and take-gain orders on the disposition effect,"
TWI Research Paper Series
89, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universität Konstanz.
- Urs Fischbacher & Gerson Hoffmann & Simeon Schudy, 2014. "The Causal Effect of Stop-Loss and Take-Gain Orders on the Disposition Effect," Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz 2014-01, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Lisa Bruttel & Tim Friehe, 2010.
"On the path-dependence of tax compliance,"
TWI Research Paper Series
59, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universität Konstanz.
- Pahlke, Julius & Strasser, Sebastian & Vieider, Ferdinand M., 2012. "Responsibility effects in decision making under risk," Discussion Papers, WZB Junior Research Group Risk and Development SP II 2012-402, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Lefebvre, Mathieu & Vieider, Ferdinand M., 2014.
"Risk taking of executives under different incentive contracts: Experimental evidence,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 97(C), pages 27-36.
- Lefebvre, Mathieu & Vieider, Ferdinand M., 2011. "Risk Taking of Executives under Different Incentive Contracts: Experimental Evidence," Discussion Papers in Economics 12210, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Zhang, Juan & Gou, Qinglong & Liang, Liang & Huang, Zhimin, 2013. "Supply chain coordination through cooperative advertising with reference price effect," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 345-353.
- Mattos, Fabio & Poirier, Jamie, 2013. "Formation and Adaptation of Reference Prices in Grain Marketing: An Experimental Study," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149672, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Frederik Schwerter, 2013. "Social Reference Points and Risk Taking," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse11_2013, University of Bonn, Germany, revised Jan 2014.
- Mathieu Lefebvre & Ferdinand Vieider, 2013. "Reining in excessive risk-taking by executives: the effect of accountability," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 75(4), pages 497-517, October.
- Mattos, Fabio, 2012. "Do producers exhibit disposition effect? Evidence from grain marketing," Working Papers 125279, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
- Mattos, Fabio & Poirier, Jamie, 2013. "Formation and adaptation of reference prices in grain marketing: An experimental study," Working Papers 148591, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.