Unspanned Stochastic Volatility in Affine Models: Evidence from Eurodollar Futures and Options
AbstractUnspanned stochastic volatility (USV) refers to the inability of bonds to replicate volatility-sensitive derivative securities. Affine term structure models require special restrictions on the parameters to exhibit USV. We use a joint Eurodollar futures and options data set to estimate affine three-factor models with and without USV restrictions. The unrestricted model captures prices of futures and options well. Option pricing errors are much larger in the USV model. The USV model is rejected in favor of the unrestricted model based on the likelihood ratio and Wald tests. We use the implications of the unrestricted model as a benchmark for understanding the extant evidence that favors USV. Specifically, we replicate extant tests in samples simulated from the unrestricted model. We show that none of the existing findings contradict the model without USV restrictions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 55 (2009)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
economics; econometrics; finance; asset pricing; simulation; statistical analysis;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lucio Sarno & Paul Schneider & Christian Wagner, 2012.
"Properties of Foreign Exchange Risk Premiums,"
Working Paper Series
10_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Philippe Mueller & Andrea Vedolin & Yu-min Yen, 2012. "Bond Variance Risk Premia," FMG Discussion Papers dp699, Financial Markets Group.
- Collin-Dufresne, Pierre & Goldstein, Robert S. & Jones, Christopher S., 2009. "Can interest rate volatility be extracted from the cross section of bond yields?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 47-66, October.
- Peter Christoffersen & Christian Dorion & Kris Jacobs & Lotfi Karoui, 2014. "Nonlinear Kalman Filtering in Affine Term Structure Models," Cahiers de recherche 1404, CIRPEE.
- Christensen, Jens H.E. & Lopez, Jose A. & Rudebusch, Glenn D., 2014. "Can spanned term structure factors drive stochastic yield volatility?," Working Paper Series 2014-3, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.