The Duration of Patent Examination at the European Patent Office
AbstractWe analyze the duration and outcomes of patent examination at the European Patent Office utilizing an unusually rich data set covering a random sample of 215,265 applications filed between 1982 and 1998. In our empirical analysis, we distinguish between three groups of determinants: applicant characteristics, indicators of patent quality and value, and determinants that affect the complexity of the examination task. The results from an accelerated failure time model indicate that more controversial claims lead to slower grants but faster withdrawals, whereas well-documented applications are approved faster and withdrawn more slowly. We find strong evidence that applicants accelerate grant proceedings for their most valuable patents, but that they also prolong the battle for such patents if a withdrawal or refusal is imminent. This paper develops implications of these results for managerial decision making in research and development and innovation management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 55 (2009)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
patents; patent examination; survival analysis; patent citations; European Patent Office;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nicolas van Zeebroeck, 2011.
"Long Live Patents: the Increasing Life Expectancy of Patent Applications and its Determinants,"
Review of Economics and Institutions,
Università di Perugia, vol. 2(3).
- Nicolas van Zeebroeck, 2011. "Long live patents: the increasing life expectancy of patent applications and its determinants," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/96255, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Liegsalz, Johannes & Wagner, Stefan, 2013.
"Patent examination at the State Intellectual Property Office in China,"
Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 552-563.
- Johannes Liegsalz & Stefan Wagner, 2011. "Patent examination at the State Intellectual Property Office in China," ESMT Research Working Papers ESMT-11-06, ESMT European School of Management and Technology.
- Della Malva, Antonio & Hussinger, Katrin, 2010.
"Corporate science in the patent system: An analysis of the semiconductor technology,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
10-098, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Malva, Antonio Della & Hussinger, Katrin, 2012. "Corporate science in the patent system: An analysis of the semiconductor technology," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 118-135.
- Berger, Florian & Blind, Knut & Thumm, Nikolaus, 2012. "Filing behaviour regarding essential patents in industry standards," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 216-225.
- Yamauchi, Isamu & Nagaoka, Sadao, 2013. "Does the outsourcing of prior art search increase the efficiency of patent examination?," IIR Working Paper 13-12, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Dietmar Harhoff & Georg von Graevenitz & Stefan Wagner, 2012.
"Conflict resolution, public goods and patent thickets,"
ESMT Research Working Papers
ESMT-12-04 (R1), ESMT European School of Management and Technology, revised 25 Mar 2013.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & von Graevenitz, Georg & Wagner, Stefan, 2013. "Conflict Resolution, Public Goods and Patent Thickets," CEPR Discussion Papers 9468, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hall, Bronwyn H., 2009.
"The financing of innovative firms,"
8/2009, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Bottazzi, Laura, 2009. "The role of venture capital in alleviating financial constraints of innovative firms," EIB Papers 9/2009, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Harhoff, Dietmar, 2009. "The role of patents and licenses in securing external finance for innovation," EIB Papers 11/2009, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Darcy, Jacques & Krämer-Eis, Helmut & Guellec, Dominique & Debande, Olivier, 2009. "Financing technology transfer," EIB Papers 10/2009, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Heger, Diana & Hussinger, Katrin, 2013. "External capital access and new product launch in start-up firms with uncertain intellectual property rights," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-095, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Rudyk, Ilja, 2013. "Deferred Patent Examination," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 416, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.