Assessing the Resource Base of Japanese and U.S. Auto Producers: A Stochastic Frontier Production Function Approach
AbstractThe "resource-based view of the firm" has become an important conceptual framework in strategic management but has been widely criticized for lack of an empirical base. To address this deficit, we utilize a new method for identifying interfirm differences in efficiency within the context of stochastic frontier production functions. Using data on Japanese and U.S. automobile manufacturers, we develop measures of resources and capabilities and test for linkages with firm performance. The results show the influence of manufacturing proficiency and scale economies at the firm and plant level. We apply the parameter estimates to account for Toyota's superior efficiency relative to other producers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 51 (2005)
Issue (Month): 7 (July)
resource-based view; stochastic frontier; production function; automotive;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marvin Lieberman & Jina Kang, 2008. "How to measure company productivity using value-added: A focus on Pohang Steel (POSCO)," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 209-224, June.
- Lai, Richard, 2005. "The Geography of Retail Inventory," MPRA Paper 4755, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mohammad Reza Dalvi & Robabe Seifi, 2014. "A Study Effects Architectural Marketing Capabilities on Performance Marketing unit Based on: Morgan et al case: Past Industry in Tehran," International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, vol. 4(1), pages 441-451, January.
- Creane, Anthony & Davidson, Carl, 2011. "The trade-offs from pattern bargaining with uncertain production costs," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 246-262, February.
- Sáenz-Royo, Carlos & Salas-Fumás, Vicente, 2013. "Learning to learn and productivity growth: Evidence from a new car-assembly plant," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 336-344.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.