How Do Value Creation and Competition Determine Whether a Firm Appropriates Value?
AbstractHow does competition among economic actors determine the value that each is able to appropriate? We provide a formal, general framework within which this question can be posed and answered, and then provide several results. Chief among them is a condition that is both required for, and guarantees, value appropriation. We apply our methodology to (i) assess the familiar notion that uniqueness, inimitability, and competition imply value appropriation, and (ii) determine the value appropriation possibilities for an innovator whose unique discovery is of use to several others who can compete for the right to use it.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 50 (2004)
Issue (Month): 10 (October)
value appropriation; competition; competitive advantage; imitation; innovation;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ramon Casadesus-Masanell & Gaston Llanes, 2009.
09-06, NET Institute, revised Sep 2009.
- Oliver Baumann & Nils Stieglitz, 2011. "Motivating Organizational Search," DRUID Working Papers 11-08, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Adegbesan, Tunji, 2007. "Strategic factor markets: Bargaining, scarcity, and resource complementarity," IESE Research Papers D/666, IESE Business School.
- Najda-Janoszka, Marta, 2011.
"Zatrzymywanie Wartości W Sieciach Kooperacyjnych Przedsiębiorstw
[Value Appropriation in Cooperative Networks]," MPRA Paper 42582, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Howard Smith & John Thanassoulis, 2009.
"Upstream Competition and Downstream Buyer Power,"
Economics Series Working Papers
420, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Stuart Jr., Harborne W., 2007. "Creating monopoly power," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 1011-1025, October.
- Kuo, Chia-Wei & Yang, Shu-Jung Sunny, 2013. "The role of store brand positioning for appropriating supply chain profit under shelf space allocation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 231(1), pages 88-97.
- Steven Toms, 2010. "Value, profit and risk: accounting and the resource-based view of the firm," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 23(5), pages 647-670, June.
- Jacobides, Michael G. & Knudsen, Thorbjorn & Augier, Mie, 2006. "Benefiting from innovation: Value creation, value appropriation and the role of industry architectures," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 1200-1221, October.
- Smith, Howard & Thanassoulis, John, 2012. "Upstream uncertainty and countervailing power," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 483-495.
- Chih-Jou Chen & Chia-Chin Chang & Shiu-Wan Hung, 2011. "Influences of Technological Attributes and Environmental Factors on Technology Commercialization," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 104(4), pages 525-535, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.