The Gas Transmission Problem Solved by an Extension of the Simplex Algorithm
AbstractThe problem of distributing gas through a network of pipelines is formulated as a cost minimization subject to nonlinear flow-pressure relations, material balances, and pressure bounds. The solution method is based on piecewise linear approximations of the nonlinear flow-pressure relations. The approximated problem is solved by an extension of the Simplex method. The solution method is tested on real-world data and compared with alternative solution methods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 46 (2000)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
mathematics: piecewise linear programming: natural resources: energy transport; networks: applications to gas transmission network;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chisari, Omar O. & Romero, Carlos A., 2008. "Investment decisions in electricity transmission in Argentina: The role of earmarked funds and gas pipeline expansions," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1321-1333, July.
- Hamedi, Maryam & Zanjirani Farahani, Reza & Husseini, Mohammad Moattar & Esmaeilian, Gholam Reza, 2009. "A distribution planning model for natural gas supply chain: A case study," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 799-812, March.
- Conrado Borraz-Sánchez & Dag Haugland, 2013. "Optimization methods for pipeline transportation of natural gas with variable specific gravity and compressibility," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 524-541, October.
- Massol, O., 2011. "A cost function for the natural gas transmission industry: further considerations," Working Papers 11/03, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Ulstein, Nina Linn & Nygreen, Bjorn & Sagli, Jan Richard, 2007. "Tactical planning of offshore petroleum production," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 550-564, January.
- Girault Vincent, 2005. "L’approvisionnement gazier sur un marche oligopolistique : une analyse par la théorie économique," Cahiers du CREDEN (CREDEN Working Papers) 05.04.56, CREDEN (Centre de Recherche en Economie et Droit de l'Energie), Faculty of Economics, University of Montpellier 1.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.