The Gas Transmission Problem Solved by an Extension of the Simplex Algorithm
AbstractThe problem of distributing gas through a network of pipelines is formulated as a cost minimization subject to nonlinear flow-pressure relations, material balances, and pressure bounds. The solution method is based on piecewise linear approximations of the nonlinear flow-pressure relations. The approximated problem is solved by an extension of the Simplex method. The solution method is tested on real-world data and compared with alternative solution methods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 46 (2000)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
mathematics: piecewise linear programming: natural resources: energy transport; networks: applications to gas transmission network;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hamedi, Maryam & Zanjirani Farahani, Reza & Husseini, Mohammad Moattar & Esmaeilian, Gholam Reza, 2009. "A distribution planning model for natural gas supply chain: A case study," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 799-812, March.
- Chisari, Omar O. & Romero, Carlos A., 2008. "Investment decisions in electricity transmission in Argentina: The role of earmarked funds and gas pipeline expansions," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1321-1333, July.
- Massol, O., 2011. "A cost function for the natural gas transmission industry: further considerations," Working Papers 11/03, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Girault Vincent, 2005. "L’approvisionnement gazier sur un marche oligopolistique : une analyse par la théorie économique," Cahiers du CREDEN (CREDEN Working Papers) 05.04.56, CREDEN (Centre de Recherche en Economie et Droit de l'Energie), Faculty of Economics, University of Montpellier 1.
- Conrado Borraz-Sánchez & Dag Haugland, 2013. "Optimization methods for pipeline transportation of natural gas with variable specific gravity and compressibility," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 524-541, October.
- Ulstein, Nina Linn & Nygreen, Bjorn & Sagli, Jan Richard, 2007. "Tactical planning of offshore petroleum production," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 550-564, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.