The persistence in international real interest rates
AbstractIn this paper, we investigate the degree of persistence in quarterly postwar tax-adjusted ex post real interest rates for 13 industrialized countries using two recently developed econometric procedures. Our results show that international tax-adjusted real interest rates are typically very persistent, with the lower bound of the 95% confidence interval for the sum of the autoregressive coefficients very close to 0.90 for nearly every country. A highly persistent real interest rate has important theoretical implications. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 9 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997.
"Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001. "LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Papell, David H., 1997. "Searching for stationarity: Purchasing power parity under the current float," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 313-332, November.
- Hansen,B.E., 1998.
"The grid bootstrap and the autoregressive model,"
26, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Romano, Joseph P & Wolf, Michael, 2001. "Subsampling Intervals in Autoregressive Models with Linear Time Trend," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(5), pages 1283-1314, September.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Chen, Hong-Yuan, 1994. "Approximately Median-Unbiased Estimation of Autoregressive Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(2), pages 187-204, April.
- Campbell, Sean D. & Davis, Morris A. & Gallin, Joshua & Martin, Robert F., 2009. "What moves housing markets: A variance decomposition of the rent-price ratio," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 90-102, September.
- Ozdemir, Zeynel Abidin & Cakan, Esin, 2010. "The persistence in real exchange rate: Evidence from East Asian countries," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 891-895, September.
- Kim, Jae H. & Silvapulle, Param & Hyndman, Rob J., 2007.
"Half-life estimation based on the bias-corrected bootstrap: A highest density region approach,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 3418-3432, April.
- Jae Kim & Param Silvapulle & Rob J. Hyndman, 2006. "Half-Life Estimation based on the Bias-Corrected Bootstrap: A Highest Density Region Approach," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 11/06, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Ji, Philip Inyeob & Kim, Jae H., 2009.
"Real interest rate linkages in the Pacific-Basin region,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 440-448, June.
- Philip Inyeob Ji & Jae H. Kim, 2005. "Real Interest Rate Linkages in the Pacific Basin Region," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 23/05, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Jayasuriya, Sisira & Kim, Jae H. & Kumar, Parmod, 2007. "International and Internal Market Integration in Indian agriculture: A study of the Indian Rice Market," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7935, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Yoon, Gawon, 2009. "Is high real interest rate persistence an intrinsic characteristic of industrialized economies?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 359-363, March.
- Sofiane H. Sekioua, 2004. "Real interest parity (RIP) over the 20th century: New evidence based on confidence intervals for the dominant root and half-lives of shocks," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 91, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Costantini, Mauro & Lupi, Claudio, 2007. "An analysis of inflation and interest rates. New panel unit root results in the presence of structural breaks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 408-414, June.
- Dreger, Christian, 2010.
"Does the nominal exchange rate regime affect the real interest parity condition?,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 274-285, December.
- Christian Dreger, 2008. "Does the Nominal Exchange Rate Regime Affect the Real Interest Parity Condition?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 819, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Christian Dreger, 2008. "Does the Nominal Exchange Rate Regime Affect the Real Interest Parity Condition?," Working Paper / FINESS 1.1c, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Christian Dreger, 2010. "Does the nominal exchange rate regime affect the real interest parity condition?," FIW Working Paper series 064, FIW.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Narayan, Seema & Smyth, Russell, 2011. "Energy consumption at business cycle horizons: The case of the United States," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 161-167, March.
- Chang, Chih Kai, 2012. "Mean Reversion of Real Interest Rates in G-20: Panel Kss Test by Spsm with a Fourier Function," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(3), pages 58-68, September.
- Menelaos Karananos & S.H Sekioua & N Zeng, 2005.
"On the order of integration of monthly US ex-ante and ex-post real interest rates new evidence from over a century of data,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005
21, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Karanasos, M. & Sekioua, S.H. & Zeng, N., 2006. "On the order of integration of monthly US ex-ante and ex-post real interest rates: New evidence from over a century of data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 163-169, February.
- Christopher J. Neely & David E. Rapach, 2008.
"Real interest rate persistence: evidence and implications,"
2008-018, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Christopher J. Neely & David E. Rapach, 2008. "Real interest rate persistence: evidence and implications," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 609-642.
- Choi, Chi-Young & Matsubara, Kiyoshi, 2007. "Heterogeneity in the persistence of relative prices: What do the Japanese cities tell us?," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 260-286, June.
- Kim, Jae H. & Ji, Philip Inyeob, 2011. "Mean-reversion in international real interest rates," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 1959-1966, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.