Central Bank Policy Reaction and the Expectations Hypothesis of the Term Structure
AbstractThis paper applies the monetary policy reaction model developed by McCallum to the term structure of interest rates. First, it contains the solution of a rational expectations model of the central bank policy reaction, with respect to the current long short-spread for the N period long rate case. Second, it applies this model rather successfully to recent weekly data for four countries. Copyright @ 1997 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. All rights reserved.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 2 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- René Garcia & Richard Luger, 2009.
"Risk Aversion, Intertemporal Substitution, and the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- René Garcia & Richard Luger, 2012. "Risk aversion, intertemporal substitution, and the term structure of interest rates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(6), pages 1013-1036, 09.
- Dai, Qiang & Singleton, Kenneth J., 2002. "Expectation puzzles, time-varying risk premia, and affine models of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 415-441, March.
- Michael Gallmeyer & Burton Hollifield & Stanley E. Zin, 2005.
"Taylor Rules, McCallum Rules and the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
11276, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gallmeyer, Michael F. & Hollifield, Burton & Zin, Stanley E., 2005. "Taylor rules, McCallum rules and the term structure of interest rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(5), pages 921-950, July.
- Michael F. Gallmeyer & Burton Hollifield, 2005. "Taylor Rules, McCallum Rules and the Term Structure of Interest Rates," 2005 Meeting Papers 676, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Boero, G. & Torricelli, C., 1998. "Tests of the Expectations Hypothesis and Policy Reaction to the Term Spread: Some Comparative Evidence," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 512, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Kugler, Peter, 2000. "The expectations hypothesis of the term structure of interest rates, open interest rate parity and central bank policy reaction," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 209-214, February.
- Luisa Malaguti & Costanza Torricelli, 2001. "The rational expectation dynamics of a model for the term structure and monetary policy," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 137-152, November.
- Shigeyuki Hamori & Naoko Hamori, 2009. "International term structure of interest rates in the Euro area," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(11), pages 1113-1116.
- Anker, Peter, 1999. "Uncovered interest parity, monetary policy and time-varying risk premia," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 835-851, December.
- Jun Nagayasu, 2003.
"The Term Structure of Interest Rates and Monetary Policy During a Zero-Interest-Rate Period,"
IMF Working Papers
03/208, International Monetary Fund.
- Nagayasu, Jun, 2004. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates and Monetary Policy during a Zero Interest Rate Period," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 22(2), pages 19-43, May.
- Qiang Dai & Kenneth Singleton, 2003. "Term Structure Dynamics in Theory and Reality," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 631-678, July.
- Kugler, Peter, 2002. "The term premium, time varying interest rate volatility and central bank policy reaction," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 311-316, August.
- Tzavalis, Elias, 2004. "The term premium and the puzzles of the expectations hypothesis of the term structure," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 73-93, January.
- Qiang Dai & Kenneth J. Singleton, 2001. "Expectation Puzzles, Time-varying Risk Premia, and Dynamic Models of the Term Structure," NBER Working Papers 8167, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Petra Gerlach-Kristen, 2007. "Three aspects of the Swiss term structure: an empirical survey," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 221-240, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.