Analyzing Core Inflation in India: A Structural VAR Approach
AbstractEffective inflation targeting requires careful selection of inflation target. It is necessary to leave out noisy elements, which the monetary policy cannot control. However, this exclusion should not be done in an ad hoc basis. Rather, core inflation should be determined from the structure of the economy. This paper estimates core inflation for India, using Structural Vector Autoregression (SVAR) method. This method is based on both theory and the structure of the economy. Monthly data for Wholesale Price Index (WPI) and Index of Industrial Production (IIP) has been used, covering a long time span from January 1971 to July 2004. We analyze the impulse responses of inflation and output, test for several time series properties of core inflation and carry out a number of Granger causality tests between headline inflation, core inflation, output and a monetary aggregate.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by IUP Publications in its journal The IUP Journal of Monetary Economics.
Volume (Year): III (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Pages: 76- 90
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ashima Goyal & Arjun Singh, 2006.
"Through a glass darkly: Deciphering the impact of oil price shocks,"
Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers
2006-012, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Ashima Goyal, 2009. "Through a Glass Darkly: Deciphering the Impact of Oil Price Shocks," Working Papers id:1826, eSocialSciences.
- Ashima Goyal & Arjun Singh, 2006. "Through a Glass Darkly - Deciphering the Impact of Oil Price Shocks," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22374, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Pami Dua & Upasna Gaur, 2010.
"Determination of inflation in an open economy Phillips curve framework: the case of developed and developing Asian countries,"
Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 33-51.
- Pami Dua & Gaur Upasna, 2009. "Determination of Inflation in an Open Economy Phillips Curve Framework: The Case of Developed and Developing Asian Countries," Working Papers id:1973, eSocialSciences.
- Pami Dua & Upasna Gaur, 2009. "Determination of Inflation in an Open Economy Phillips Curve Framework-- The Case of Developed and Developing Asian Countries," Working papers 178, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (G R K Murty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.