The Monthly Measurement of Core Inflation in Japan
AbstractThis paper considers the use of trimmed means as monthly indicators of Japanese core inflation. As in Bryan, Cecchetti, and Wiggins (1997) for the United States, and Roger (1997) for New Zealand, we find that trimming the tails of the price change distribution substantially improves high-frequency estimates of Japanese core inflation. These estimators yield efficiency gains of roughly two-thirds over the Japanese CPI. While we find that trimming approximately 35 percent from each tail of the price change distribution produces the most efficient monthly estimator over the full 27-year period, a range of trimmed-mean estimators (between 21 percent and the median price change) provide nearly the same signal. Moreover, we find that these estimators are superior to the standard monthly core inflation estimator in Japan, the CPI less fresh food. At lower frequencies (12-month percent changes and beyond), the differences between the candidate estimators were found to be small, and the trimmed estimators were nearly the same as the CPI less fresh food and energy along many dimensions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan in its journal Monetary and Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 17 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 2-1-1 Nihonbashi, Hongoku-cho, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103
Web page: http://www.imes.boj.or.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balke, Nathan S. & Wynne, Mark A., 2000.
"An equilibrium analysis of relative price changes and aggregate inflation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 269-292, April.
- Nathan S. Balke & Mark A. Wynne, 1996. "An equilibrium analysis of relative price changes and aggregate inflation," Working Papers 9609, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Shiratsuka, Shigenori, 1997. "Inflation Measures for Monetary Policy: Measuring the Underlying Inflation Trend and Its Implication for Monetary Policy Implementation," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 15(2), pages 1-26, December.
- Caballero, Ricardo J & Engel, Eduardo M R A, 1991.
"Dynamic (S, s) Economies,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1659-86, November.
- Danny Quah & Shaun Vahey, 1995.
"Measuring Core Inflation,"
Bank of England working papers
31, Bank of England.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1997.
"Measuring short-run inflation for central bankers,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 143-155.
- Caplin, Andrew & Leahy, John, 1991.
"State-Dependent Pricing and the Dynamics of Money and Output,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(3), pages 683-708, August.
- Caplin, A. & Leahy, J., 1989. "State-Dependent Pricing And The Dynamics Of Money And Output," Discussion Papers 1989_32, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Fiorencio, A & Moreira, A.R.B., 2000. "O Núcleo da Inflação como a Tendência Comum dos Preços," Insper Working Papers wpe_2, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Juan-Luis Vega & Mark A. Wynne, 2002.
"A first assessment of some measures of core inflation for the euro area,"
0205, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Juan-Luis Vega & Mark A. Wynne, 2003. "A First Assessment of Some Measures of Core Inflation for the Euro Area," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 4, pages 269-306, 08.
- Meyler, Aidan, 1999.
"A Statistical Measure Of Core Inflation,"
Research Technical Papers
2/RT/99, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Ivan Roberts, 2005. "Underlying Inflation: Concepts, Measurement and Performance," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2005-05, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- L. Aucremanne, 2001. "The use of Robust Estimators as Measures of Core Inflation," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 61, Netherlands Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kinken).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.