¿Es rentable para el sector público invertir en educación?
AbstractThe present paper analyzes one of the advantages that a country can derive from people with higher educational levels, i.e. higher tax revenues resulting from the higher earnings from higher school attainment.More specifically, we test whether the marginal revenue obtained by the public sector from taxpayers holding an additional educational level is higher than the marginal public expenditure on them. To accomplish this aim, we extend Psacharopoulos (1981) analysis and calculate internal rates of return for public expenditure in schooling. Our results suggest that taxpayers with an additional educational level, including those attaining post-compulsory educational levels, are profitable for the public sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by IEF in its journal Hacienda Pública Española/Revista de Economía Pública.
Volume (Year): 188 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Education expenditure; tax burden; internal rate of return.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I2 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education
- H3 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents
- H5 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Ciccone & Federico Cingano & Piero Cipollone, 2004.
"The Private and Social Return to Schooling in Italy,"
Giornale degli Economisti,
GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 63(3-4), pages 413-444, December.
- Antonio Ciccone & Federico Cingano & Piero Cipollone, 2006. "The private and social return to schooling in Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 569, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Federico Cingano & Piero Cipollone, 2009. "The private and social return to schooling in Italy," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 53, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Cecilia Albert Verdú, 1998. "- Higher Education Demand In Spain: The Influence Of Labour Market Signals And Family Background," Working Papers. Serie EC 1998-17, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Angel de la Fuente & Rafael Domenech & Juan Francisco Jimeno, 2003. "Human capital as a factor of growth and employment at the regional level. The case of Spain," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 610.04, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olga Cantó Sánchez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Olga Cantó Sánchez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.