Equidade: a chave para explicar os tarifários de água em Portugal?
AbstractGiven the gap in the literature regarding equity analyses in the water industry, the objective of this paper is to evaluate whether or not income-related equity considerations are embodied in water supply tariffs, in the Portuguese municipalities. Essential minimum quantities of water are determined for representative households, which are then compared with the first tariff block’s upper limit applying on their respective municipalities. Next, representative households are ranked by costs underlying minimum quantities and by income. The methodology used in this paper is also based on concentration curves and indexes. We conclude that payments of water bills are regressive, or, in other words, there is inequity favourable to the better-off representative households.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra in its journal Notas Económicas.
Volume (Year): (2009)
Issue (Month): 29 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Dias da Silva, 165, 3004-512 COIMBRA
Phone: + 351 239 790 500
Fax: + 351 239 40 35 11
Web page: http://notas-economicas.fe.uc.pt/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- L95 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Gas Utilities; Pipelines; Water Utilities
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arbues, Fernando & Garcia-Valinas, Maria Angeles & Martinez-Espineira, Roberto, 2003. "Estimation of residential water demand: a state-of-the-art review," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 81-102, March.
- Roseta-Palma, Catarina & Monteiro, Henrique, 2008. "Pricing for Scarcity," MPRA Paper 10384, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Henrique Monteiro, 2005. "Water Pricing Models: a survey," Others 0510002, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Santos).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.