Money, credit, banking, and payments system policy
AbstractThis article employs contract theory to analyze the evolution of the payments system. Insights gained are used subsequently to evaluate three prominent public payments system policies: monetary policy, central bank lending, and deposit insurance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond in its journal Economic Review.
Volume (Year): (1991)
Issue (Month): Jan ()
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George J. Benston & George G. Kaufman, 1988. "Risk and solvency regulation of depository institutions: past policies and current options," Staff Memoranda 88-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1984.
"The Role of Overlapping-Generations Models in Monetary Economics,"
NBER Working Papers
0989, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McCallum, Bennett T., 1983. "The role of overlapping-generations models in monetary economics," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 9-44, January.
- White, Eugene Nelson, 1981. "State-Sponsored Insurance of Bank Deposits in the United States, 1907–1929," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 41(03), pages 537-557, September.
- Timberlake, Richard H, Jr, 1984. "The Central Banking Role of Clearinghouse Associations," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Watts, Ross L & Zimmerman, Jerold L, 1983. "Agency Problems, Auditing, and the Theory of the Firm: Some Evidence," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(3), pages 613-33, October.
- Garbade, Kenneth D. & Silber, William L., 1979. "The payment system and domestic exchange rates: Technological versus institutional change," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Robert G. King, 1988.
"Financial deregulation, monetary policy, and central banking,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue May, pages 3-22.
- Goodfriend, M. & King, R.G., 1988. "Financial Deregulation, Monetary Policy, And Central Banking," RCER Working Papers 121, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Marvin Goodfriend & Robert G. King, 1988. "Financial deregulation, monetary policy, and central banking," Working Paper 88-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Williams, Jeffrey C, 1984. "Fractional Reserve Banking in Grain," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(4), pages 488-96, November.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- King, Robert G. & Plosser, Charles I., 1986. "Money as the mechanism of exchange," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 93-115, January.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Agency Problems and Residual Claims," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 327-49, June.
- Gary B. Gorton & Joseph G. Haubrich, 1987. "The paradox of loan sales," Proceedings 151, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Baxter, William F, 1983. "Bank Interchange of Transactional Paper: Legal and Economic Perspectives," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(3), pages 541-88, October.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Equilibrium in a Pure Currency Economy," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(2), pages 203-20, April.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1980. "Banking in the theory of finance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 39-57, January.
- James, Christopher, 1987. "Some evidence on the uniqueness of bank loans," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 217-235, December.
- John A. Weinberg, 1994. "Selling Federal Reserve payment services: one price fits all?," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Fall, pages 1-24.
- Paul Hoffman & Anthony M. Santomero, 1998. "Problem Bank Resolution: Evaluating the Options," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 98-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Anthony M. Santomero, 1996. "The Regulatory and Public Policy Agenda for Effective Intermediation in Post Socialist Economies," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-34, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Michael D. Bordo, 1990. "The lender of last resort : alternative views and historical experience," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Jan, pages 18-29.
- Peter Garber & Steven Weisbrod, 1990. "Banks in the Market for Liquidity," NBER Working Papers 3381, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Catharine Lemieux, 2003. "Network vulnerabilities and risks in the retail payment system," Emerging Issues, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Charles M. Kahn & James McAndrews & William Roberds, 1999.
"Settlement risk under gross and net settlement,"
99-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Bossone, Biagio, 2000. "What makes banks special ? a study of banking, finance, and economic development," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2408, The World Bank.
- Richard J. Herring & Anthony M. Santomero, 2000. "What Is Optimal Financial Regulation?," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-34, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Anthony M. Santomero, 1997. "Deposit Insurance: Do We Need It and Why?," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-35, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Michael D. Bordo & Finn E. Kydland, 1992.
"The gold standard as a rule,"
9205, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Lawrence J. Radecki, 1999. "Banks' payments-driven revenues," Staff Reports 62, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (William Perkins).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.