Doing Without Money: A critical assessment of Woodford's analysis
AbstractWoodford employs an inter-temporal general equilibrium model to examine the properties of the monetary system as it evolves form the use of a physical medium of exchange to an electronic medium. He presents a structure in which cash as a means of payment can be made to vanish at the limit but where he claims the price level remains determinate. It is shown that Woodford's analysis involves fundamental but still widespread conceptual and methodological errors. His general equilibrium model does not map into the world of electronic money and his analysis has no implications for the art of central banking.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Method and Hist of Econ Thought with number 0411001.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 03 Nov 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 33
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
Electronic money; Cashless limit; Hahn property; Accounting systems of exchange;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B40 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - General
- E40 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - General
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CBA-2004-11-07 (Central Banking)
- NEP-HPE-2004-11-07 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2004-11-07 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2004-11-07 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-MON-2004-12-21 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2004-11-07 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Woodford, 1998.
"Doing Without Money: Controlling Inflation in a Post-Monetary World,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 1(1), pages 173-219, January.
- Woodford, Michael, 1997. "Doing Without Money: Controlling Inflation in a Post-Monetary World," Seminar Papers 632, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Woodford, M., 1997. "Doing Without Money: Controlling Inflation in a Post-Monetary World," Papers 632, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Michael Woodford, 1997. "Doing Without Money: Controlling Inflation in a Post-Monetary World," NBER Working Papers 6188, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David E. Laidler, 1988.
"Taking Money Seriously,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(4), pages 687-713, November.
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1985.
"Money and Interest in a Cash-in-Advance Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
1618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1985.
"Bank Deregulation, Accounting Systems of Exchange, and the Unit of Account: A Critical Review,"
NBER Working Papers
1572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McCallum, Bennett T., 1985. "Bank deregulation, accounting systems of exchange, and the unit of account: A critical review," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 13-45, January.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1989. "On Money as a Medium of Exchange," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 927-54, August.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 2004.
"Monetary Policy In Economies With Little Or No Money,"
Pacific Economic Review,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 81-92, 06.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 2003. "Monetary Policy in Economies with Little or No Money," NBER Working Papers 9838, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Equilibrium in a Pure Currency Economy," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(2), pages 203-20, April.
- Colin Rogers & Thomas K. Rymes, 1998.
"Indirect Convertibility and Quasi-Futures Contracts: Two Non-Operational Schemes for Automatic Stabilisation of the Price Level?,"
School of Economics Working Papers
1998-17, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Colin Rogers & Thomas K. Rymes, 2001. "Indirect Convertibility and Quasi-futures Contracts: Two Non-operational Schemes for Automatic Stabilisation of the Price Level," School of Economics Working Papers 2001-04, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Hahn, Frank H, 1973. "On Transaction Costs, Inessential Sequence Economies and Money," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 449-61, October.
- Alain Ize & Arto Kovanen & Timo Henckel, 1999. "Central Banking without Central Bank Money," IMF Working Papers 99/92, International Monetary Fund.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1980. "Banking in the theory of finance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 39-57, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.