International liquidity provision during the financial crisis: a view from Switzerland
AbstractThe authors document the provision of liquidity in Swiss francs (CHF) by the Swiss National Bank (SNB) to banks located outside Switzerland during the recent financial crisis. What makes the Swiss case special is the size of this liquidity provision—at times, 80 percent of all short-term CHF liquidity provided by the SNB—and the measures adopted to distribute this liquidity. In addition to making CHF available to other central banks via swap facilities, the SNB also allows banks outside Switzerland to directly participate in its repurchase agreement transactions. Although this policy was adopted for reasons predating the 2007-09 financial crisis, it proved tremendously helpful during the crisis by providing the European banking system direct access to the primary funding facility for CHF.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its journal Review.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): Nov ()
Other versions of this item:
- Raphael Auer & Sebastien Kraenzlin, 2011. "International liquidity provision during the financial crisis: a view from Switzerland," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 75, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beer, Christian & Ongena, Steven & Peter, Marcel, 2010.
"Borrowing in foreign currency: Austrian households as carry traders,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 2198-2211, September.
- Christian Beer & Steven Ongena & Marcel Peter, 2008. "Borrowing in Foreign Currency: Austrian Households as Carry Traders," Working Papers 2008-19, Swiss National Bank.
- Basil Guggenheim & Sébastien Philippe Kraenzlin & Silvio Schumacher, 2011. "Exploring an uncharted market: Evidence on the unsecured Swiss franc money market," Working Papers 2011-05, Swiss National Bank.
- Richard G. Anderson & Charles S. Gascon & Yang Liu, 2010. "Doubling your monetary base and surviving: some international experience," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 481-506.
- Joshua Aizenman & Gurnain Kaur Pasricha, 2009.
"Selective Swap Arrangements and the Global Financial Crisis: Analysis and Interpretation,"
NBER Working Papers
14821, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Pasricha, Gurnain Kaur, 2010. "Selective swap arrangements and the global financial crisis: Analysis and interpretation," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 353-365, June.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Pasricha, Gurnain, 2009. "Selective Swap Arrangements and the Global Financial Crisis: Analysis and Interpretation," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt2vw7s14s, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Brown, Martin & Ongena, Steven & Yesin, Pinar, 2009.
"Foreign Currency Borrowing by Small Firms,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7540, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard G. Anderson, 2006. "Monetary base," Working Papers 2006-049, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Raphael Auer & Sebastien Kraenzlin & David Liebeg, 2012. "How Do Austrian Banks Fund Their Swiss Franc Exposure?," Financial Stability Report, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 24.
- Sébastien Philippe Kraenzlin & Thomas Nellen, 2012. "Access policy and money market segmentation," Working Papers 2012-12, Swiss National Bank.
- Michael D. Bordo & Owen Humpage & Anna J. Schwartz, 2012.
"Epilogue: Foreign-Exchange-Market Operations in the Twenty-First Century,"
NBER Working Papers
17984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael D. Bordo & Owen F. Humpage & Anna J. Schwartz, 2012. "Epilogue: foreign-exchange-market operations in the twenty-first century," Working Paper 1207, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Sébastien Philippe Kraenzlin & Benedikt von Scarpatetti, 2011. "Bargaining Power in the Repo Market," Working Papers 2011-14, Swiss National Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.