AbstractThis brief essay is a working draft of an article in preparation for the forthcoming International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, 2nd ed., examining the role of the monetary base in monetary economics and monetary policymaking. Comments are welcome.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its series Working Papers with number 2006-049.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, February 2008, Macmillan Reference USA.
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-10-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2006-10-14 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2006-10-14 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2006-10-14 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hicks, J. R., 1969. "A Theory of Economic History," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198811633.
- Stanley Fischer & Ratna Sahay & Carlos A. Vegh, 2002.
"Modern Hyper- and High Inflations,"
NBER Working Papers
8930, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard G. Anderson & Robert H. Rasche & Jeffrey Loesel, 2003. "A reconstruction of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis adjusted monetary base and reserves," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 39-69.
- Rich, Georg, 1997. "Monetary targets as a policy rule: Lessons from the Swiss experience," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 113-141, June.
- Mccallum, Bennet T., 1988. "Robustness properties of a rule for monetary policy," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 173-203, January.
- Edward Nelson, 2000.
"Direct effects of base money on aggregate demand: theory and evidence,"
Bank of England working papers
122, Bank of England.
- Nelson, Edward, 2002. "Direct effects of base money on aggregate demand: theory and evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 687-708, May.
- Nelson, Edward, 2001. "Direct Effects of Base Money on Aggregate Demand: Theory and Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 2666, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- William A. Barnett, 2003.
"Aggregation-Theoretic Monetary Aggregation over the Euro Area, when Countries are Heterogeneous,"
- Barnett, William A., 2003. "Aggregation-theoretic monetary aggregation over the euro area, when countries are heterogeneous," Working Paper Series 0260, European Central Bank.
- Belongia, Michael, 2009. "Reforming the Fed: what would real change look like?," MPRA Paper 18977, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2009.
- Hendrickson, Joshua, 2010. "Redundancy or Mismeasurement? A Reappraisal of Money," MPRA Paper 21477, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Peter N. Ireland, 2011.
"The Macroeconomic Effects on Interest on Reserves,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
772, Boston College Department of Economics.
- William Barnett & Marcelle Chauvet, 2008.
"International Financial Aggregation and Index Number Theory: A Chronological Half-Century Empirical Overview,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
200804, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2008.
- William Barnett & Marcelle Chauvet, 2009. "International Financial Aggregation and Index Number Theory: A Chronological Half-century Empirical Overview," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 1-37, February.
- Barnett, William A. & Chauvet, Marcelle, 2008. "International Financial Aggregation and Index Number Theory: A Chronological Half-Century Empirical Overview," MPRA Paper 10242, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Subramanian S. Sriram, 1999. "Survey of Literature on Demand for Money: Theoretical and Empirical Work with Special Reference to Error-Correction Models," IMF Working Papers 99/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Raphael Auer & Sebastien Kraenzlin, 2011.
"International liquidity provision during the financial crisis: a view from Switzerland,"
Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper
75, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Raphael Auer & Sébastien Kraenzlin, 2011. "International liquidity provision during the financial crisis: a view from Switzerland," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 409-418.
- Dennis L. Hoffman & Robert H. Rasche, 1997. "STLS/US-VECM6.1: a vector error-correction forecasting model of the U. S. economy," Working Papers 1997-008, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Richard G. Anderson & Barry Jones, 2011. "A comprehensive revision of the U.S. monetary services (divisia) indexes," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 325-360.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xiao Xiaohong) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Xiao Xiaohong to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.