Competition among banks: good or bad?
AbstractWhat are the pros and cons of bank competition? This article presents an overview of the most recent research on the economic role of bank competition. Contrary to the received wisdom that competition in the banking industry is necessarily welfare enhancing, theoretical analyses and empirical evidence also identify possible negative economic effects. This broader view offers food for thought for regulators and policymakers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago in its journal Economic Perspectives.
Volume (Year): (2001)
Issue (Month): Q II ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 834, 230 South LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60690-0834
Web page: http://www.chicagofed.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cetorelli, Nicola & Peretto, Pietro F., 2000.
"Oligopoly Banking and Capital Accumulation,"
00-19, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Collender, Robert N. & Shaffer, Sherrill, 2003.
"Local bank office ownership, deposit control, market structure, and economic growth,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 27-57, January.
- Collender, Robert N. & Shaffer, Sherrill L., 2000. "Local Bank Office Ownership, Deposit Control, Market Structure, And Economic Growth," Technical Bulletins 33555, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Michele Gambera, 1999.
"Banking market structure, financial dependence and growth: international evidence from industry data,"
Working Paper Series
WP-99-8, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Nicola Cetorelli, 2001. "Banking Market Structure, Financial Dependence and Growth: International Evidence from Industry Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 617-648, 04.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Michele Gambera, 1999. "Banking Market Structure, Financial Dependence and Growth: International Evidence from Industry Data," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-19, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Emilia Bonaccorsi di Patti & Giovanni Dell & Ariccia#x2019, 2000. "Bank Competition and Firm Creation," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-20, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Kevin C. Murdock & Thomas F. Hellmann & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2000. "Liberalization, Moral Hazard in Banking, and Prudential Regulation: Are Capital Requirements Enough?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 147-165, March.
- Jayaratne, Jith & Strahan, Philip E, 1996. "The Finance-Growth Nexus: Evidence from Bank Branch Deregulation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(3), pages 639-70, August.
- Bhattacharya Sudipto & Thakor Anjan V., 1993. "Contemporary Banking Theory," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 2-50, October.
- Nicola Cetorelli, 2001.
"Does bank concentration lead to concentration in industrial sectors?,"
Working Paper Series
WP-01-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Nicola Cetorelli, 2002. "Does bank concentration lead to concentration in industrial sectors?," Proceedings 818, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2000:i:may:p:132-161 is not listed on IDEAS
- Giovanni Dell & Ariccia#x2019, 2000. "Learning by Lending, Competition, and Screening Incentives in the Banking Industry," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-10, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio, Gerard & Levine, Ross, 2000. "Banking systems around the globe : do regulation and ownership affect the performance and stability?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2325, The World Bank.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Mariarosaria Agostino & Francesco Trivieri, 2010. "Is banking competition beneficial to SMEs? An empirical study based on Italian data," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 335-355, October.
- Hainz, Christa, 2007. "The Effect of Bank Competition on the Bank's Incentive to Collateralize," Discussion Papers in Economics 2007, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Jacob Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel & Christoffer Kok S�rensen, 2011.
"A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 43(23), pages 3155-3167.
- Leuvensteijn, Michiel van & Bikker, Jacob A. & Rixtel, Adrian A.R.J.M. van & Kok-Sørensen, Christoffer, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," CEI Working Paper Series 2007-6, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- van Leuvensteijn, Michiel & Bikker, Jacob A. & Van Rixtel, Adrian & Kok, Christoffer, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," Working Paper Series 0768, European Central Bank.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Jacob A. Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel & Christoffer Kok-Sørensen, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0736, Banco de Espa�a.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. Rixtel & C. Kok-Sorensen, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the Euro area," CPB Discussion Paper 84, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Jacob Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel & Christoffer Kok-Sorensen, 2007. "A new approach to measuring competition in the loan markets of the euro area," DNB Working Papers 143, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Hainz, Christa, 2008. "Bank Competition - When is it Good?," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 244, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Dorothea Schäfer & Boriss Siliverstovs & Eva Terberger, 2005.
"Banking Competition, Good or Bad?: The Case of Promoting Micro and Small Enterprise Finance in Kazakhstan,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
479, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Dorothea Schafer & Boriss Siliverstovs & Eva Terberger, 2010. "Banking competition, good or bad? The case of promoting micro and small enterprise finance in Kazakhstan," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 42(6), pages 701-716.
- Patrick Brämer & Horst Gischer, 2012. "Domestic Systemically Important Banks: An Indicator-Based Measurement Approach for the Australian Banking System," FEMM Working Papers 120003, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüç-Kunt, A. & Maksimovic, V., 2004. "Bank competition and access to finance," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125507, Tilburg University.
- Luis Gutiérrez de Rozas, 2007. "Testing for competition in the Spanish banking industry: The Panzar-Rosse approach revisited," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0726, Banco de Espa�a.
- Agostino, Mariarosaria & Gagliardi, Francesca & Trivieri, Francesco, 2010. "Credit market structure and bank screening: An indirect test on Italian data," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 151-160, October.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kant, Asl' & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2003. "Bank competition, financing obstacles, and access to credit," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2996, The World Bank.
- Andrea Repetto & Sergio Rodríguez & Rodrigo O. Valdés, 2002. "Bank Lending and Relationship Banking: Evidence from Chilean Firms," Documentos de Trabajo 146, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Soon Ryoo, 2011. "Banks with market power, sectoral structure and the big push," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 103(1), pages 1-38, May.
- Batiz-Lazo, Bernardo & Maixe-Altes, J. Carles, 2006. "Organisational change and the computerisation of British and Spanish savings banks, 1965-1985," MPRA Paper 804, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mariarosaria Agostino & Francesco Trivieri, 2008. "Banking Competition and SMEs Bank Financing. Evidence from the Italian Provinces," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 33-53, March.
- Charles W. Calomiris & Thanavut Pornrojnangkool, 2005. "Monopoly-Creating Bank Consolidation? The Merger of Fleet and BankBoston," NBER Working Papers 11351, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernie Flores).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.