The value of using interest rate derivatives to manage risk of U.S. banking organizations
AbstractThis article examines the major differences in the accounting and stock market characteristics of banking organizations that use derivatives relative to those that do not.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago in its journal Economic Perspectives.
Volume (Year): (2001)
Issue (Month): Q III ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 834, 230 South LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60690-0834
Web page: http://www.chicagofed.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lloyd, William P. & Shick, Richard A., 1977. "A Test of Stone's Two-Index Model of Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 363-376, September.
- Gary Gorton & Richard Rosen, 1995.
"Banks and Derivatives,"
NBER Working Papers
5100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Gorton & Richard Rosen, . "Banks and Derivatives," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 06-95, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Gary Gorton & Richard Rosen, 1995. "Banks and derivatives," Working Papers 95-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Gary Gorton & Richard Rosen, 1995. "Banks and Derivatives," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 95-07, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Gary Gorton & Richard Rosen, . "Banks and Derivatives," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 6-95, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414, July.
- Kane, Edward J & Unal, Haluk, 1990.
" Modeling Structural and Temporal Variation in the Market's Valuation of Banking Firms,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 45(1), pages 113-36, March.
- Edward J. Kane & Haluk Unal, 1990. "Modeling Structural and Temporal Variation in the Market's Valuation of Banking Firms," NBER Working Papers 2693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kashyap, Anil K & Stein, Jeremy C & Wilcox, David W, 1993.
"Monetary Policy and Credit Conditions: Evidence from the Composition of External Finance,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 78-98, March.
- Anil K. Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein & David W. Wilcox, 1991. "Monetary policy and credit conditions: evidence from the composition of external finance," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 154, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Anil K Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein & David W. Wilcox, 1992. "Monetary Policy and Credit Conditions: Evidence From the Composition of External Finance," NBER Working Papers 4015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Cara S. Lown, 1991. "The Credit Crunch," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(2), pages 205-248.
- Charles W. Calomiris & Berry Wilson, 1996. "Bank capital and portfolio management: the 1930s capital crunch and scramble to shed risk," Proceedings 521, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Elijah Brewer, III & Bernadette A. Minton & James T. Moser, 1996.
"Interest-rate derivatives and bank lending,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
WP-96-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Eric S. Rosengren, 1990. "The case for junk bonds," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue May, pages 40-49.
- Elizabeth S. Laderman, 1993. "Determinants of bank versus nonbank competitiveness in short-term business lending," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 17-32.
- Brewer, Elijah III, 1989. "Relationship between bank holding company risk and nonbank activity," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 337-353, November.
- Flannery, Mark J & James, Christopher M, 1984. " The Effect of Interest Rate Changes on the Common Stock Returns of Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1141-53, September.
- Memmel, Christoph & Schertler, Andrea, 2009. "The dependency of the banks' assets and liabilities: evidence from Germany," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2009,14, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Memmel, Christoph & Schertler, Andrea, 2011. "Banks' management of the net interest margin: Evidence from Germany," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2011,13, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ioana-Diana PÃUN & Ramona GOGONCEA, 2013. "Interest Rate Risk Management and the Use of Derivative Securities," Economia. Seria Management, Faculty of Management, Academy of Economic Studies, Bucharest, Romania, vol. 16(2), pages 242-254, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernie Flores).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.