Testing weak exogeneity by multivariate cointegration techniques : the demand for labour in Finnish manufacturing
AbstractThe study examines the efficiency of the single-equation approach in modelling employment determination in the context ofFinnish labour market data. The task is accomplished by using the multivariate cointegration techniques developed in Johansen (1988) and Johansen and Juselius (1990). The results suggest that the weak exogeneity of the conventional conditioning variables, including output, capital stock, wages, product prices and material prices cannot be taken for granted. The possibility of the loss of information involved in contemporaneous conditioning implies that care should be taken in applying single-equation methods to Finnish labour market data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Finnish Economic Association in its journal Finnish Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 7 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ilmakunnas, Pekka, 1989. "Survey Expectations vs. Rational Expectations in the Estimation of a Dynamic Model: Demand for Labour in Finnish Manufacturing," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 51(3), pages 297-314, August.
- Osterwald-Lenum, Michael, 1992. "A Note with Quantiles of the Asymptotic Distribution of the Maximum Likelihood Cointegration Rank Test Statistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 461-72, August.
- Wren-Lewis, Simon, 1986. "An Econometric Model of U.K. Manufacturing Employment Using Survey Data on Expected Output," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(4), pages 297-316, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.