International Equity Portfolio Risk Modeling: The Case of the NIG Model and Ordinary Copula Functions
AbstractFinancial risk modeling and management are very important and challenging tasks for financial institutions’ quantitative units. Owing to the complex nature of portfolios, and given recent financial market developments, contemporary research is focused on tail modeling and/or dependency modeling. The main objective of this paper is to examine the potential contribution of Lévy-based subordinated models coupled by ordinary elliptical copula functions to the estimation of the distribution pattern of international equity portfolios. The authors observe that the subordinated NIG model coupled with the Student copula function, and in particular its combined estimation version, allows them to get very good estimates of portfolio risk measures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences in its journal Finance a uver - Czech Journal of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 62 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
market risk; backtesting; subordinated Lévy model; VaR;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- D53 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Financial Markets
- G17 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Financial Forecasting and Simulation
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pritsker, Matthew, 2006. "The hidden dangers of historical simulation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 561-582, February.
- Katja Ignatieva & Eckhard Platen, 2010.
"Modelling Co-movements and Tail Dependency in the International Stock Market via Copulae,"
Asia-Pacific Financial Markets,
Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 261-302, September.
- Katja Ignatieva & Eckhard Platen, 2009. "Modelling Co-movements and Tail Dependency in the International Stock Market via Copulae," Research Paper Series 265, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Peter Christoffersen & Denis Pelletier, 2003.
"Backtesting Value-at-Risk: A Duration-Based Approach,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Peter Christoffersen, 2004. "Backtesting Value-at-Risk: A Duration-Based Approach," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(1), pages 84-108.
- Jeremy Berkowitz & Peter Christoffersen & Denis Pelletier, 2011.
"Evaluating Value-at-Risk Models with Desk-Level Data,"
INFORMS, vol. 57(12), pages 2213-2227, December.
- Peter Christoffersen & Jeremy Berkowitz & Denis Pelletier, 2008. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk Models with Desk-Level Data," CREATES Research Papers 2009-35, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Jeremy Berkowitz & Peter Christoffersen & Denis Pelletier, 2005. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk models with desk-level data," Working Paper Series 010, North Carolina State University, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2006.
- Madan, Dilip B & Seneta, Eugene, 1990. "The Variance Gamma (V.G.) Model for Share Market Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(4), pages 511-24, October.
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:16:y:2006:i:2:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Huang, Jen-Jsung & Lee, Kuo-Jung & Liang, Hueimei & Lin, Wei-Fu, 2009. "Estimating value at risk of portfolio by conditional copula-GARCH method," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 315-324, December.
- Katarzyna Guhn, 2013. "Krotkoterminowe planowanie finansowe na przykladzie przedsiebiorstwa z branzy sprzedaz hurtowa wyrobow chemicznych," Working Papers hal-00816775, HAL.
- Monika Brzezińska & Katarzyna Guhn, 2013. "Planning of sales on the example of companies in the paper industry and wholesale of chemical products," Working Papers hal-00812840, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.