Food Policy in the Era of Supermarkets: What’s Different?
AbstractThis paper examines the role of supermarkets in developing countries from a “food policy” perspective. The entire food system is being affected by supermarkets, from supply chains impacting small farmers, through traditional marketing channels, to opportunities facing consumers. Issues of macroeconomic impact, distribution of benefits by income class and health consequences of behavioural change by consumers in the face of new consumption possibilities are among the themes discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in its journal The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics.
Volume (Year): 1 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Agricultural Sector in Economic Development Service FAO Viale delle Terme di Caracalla 00153 Rome Italy
Phone: +39(6) 57051
Fax: +39 06 57055522
Web page: http://www.fao.org/es/esa/
More information through EDIRC
Food policy; food security; consumer perspective; macroeconomic impact;
Other versions of this item:
- Timmer, C. Peter, 2004. "Food Policy in the Era of Supermarkets: What's Different?," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 1(2).
- Q10 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - General
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Berdegue, Julio A. & Reardon, Thomas & Balsevich, Fernando & Martinez, Anabel & Medina, Ruben & Aguirre, Marx & Echanove, Flavia, 2006. "Supermarkets and Michoacan Guava Farmers in Mexico," Staff Papers 11474, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Timmer, C. Peter, 2009. "Do Supermarkets Change the Food Policy Agenda?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 1812-1819, November.
- Ganesh Thapa, 2007. "Supermarkets, Smallholders and Livelihoods Prospects in Selected Asian Countries," ASARC Working Papers 2007-12, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Anríquez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Gustavo Anríquez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.