How Are Irish Households Coping with their Mortgage Repayments? Information from the Survey on Income and Living Conditions
AbstractThis paper uses information contained within the Survey on Income and Living Conditions (SILC) to examine the ability of Irish households to sustain their mortgage repayments. We calculate mortgage repayment to income (MRTI) ratios for a representative sample of Irish households and examine the distribution of this ratio across the sample. In particular, we stratify information on marital, work and educational status along with household composition according to this MRTI. We also examine the distribution of information on household mortgages such as the source, the interest rate paid, the age and tenure, and the monthly repayment of the mortgage according to the same ratio. Finally, the distributional implications for the MRTI of a significant unemployment and interest rate shock are also examined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Economic and Social Studies in its journal Economic and Social Review.
Volume (Year): 42 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esr.ie
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diarmaid Addison-Smyth & Kieran McQuinn & Gerard O'Reilly, 2009.
"Supply Response in an Uncertain Market: Assessing Future Implications for Activity Levels in the Irish Housing Sector,"
European Journal of Housing Policy,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 259-283.
- Diarmaid Addison-Smyth & Kieran McQuinn & Gerard O'Reilly, 2009. "Supply Response in an Uncertain Market: Assessing Future Implications for Activity Levels in the Irish Housing Sector," International Journal of Housing Policy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 259-283.
- Addison-Smyth, Diarmaid & McQuinn, Kieran & O'Reilly, Gerard, 2009.
"Modelling Credit in the Irish Mortgage Market,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 40(4), pages 371-392.
- Addison-Smyth, Diarmaid & McQuinn, Kieran & O' Reilly, Gerard, 2009. "Quantifying Revenue Windfalls from the Irish Housing Market," Research Technical Papers 10/RT/09, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Gerlach, Petra, 2013. "Younger and Older Households in the Crisis," Research Notes RN2013/1/4, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Kelly, Robert & McCarthy, Yvonne & McQuinn, Kieran, 2012.
"Impairment and negative equity in the Irish mortgage market,"
Journal of Housing Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 256-268.
- Kelly, Robert & McCarthy, Yvonne & McQuinn, Kieran, 2011. "Impairment and Negative Equity in the Irish Mortgage Market," Research Technical Papers 9/RT/11, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Kelly, Robert, 2011. "The Good, The Bad and The Impaired - A Credit Risk Model of the Irish Mortgage Market," Research Technical Papers 13/RT/11, Central Bank of Ireland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Walsh).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.