Organization Politics and the Role of Accounting
AbstractThis paper views the organization as an open political system. The way that organizations are structured makes inevitable the creation of sectional interests and differentiates the understanding of organizational goals. Decision-making is viewed as a power game between competing interest groups over the control of organizational resources. Power relations are generated and power is accumulated to the divisions that have control of scarce organizational resources or to those who cope most successfully with uncertainty. Accounting information is used as an argument that justifies demands from organizational actors or for the rationalization of decisions made.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Research Studies Journal in its journal European Research Studies Journal.
Volume (Year): XIV (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.ersj.eu/
Organizational Politics; Decision-making; Power Relations; Accounting Information;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- D74 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Conflict; Conflict Resolution; Alliances
- M40 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dermer, Jerry, 1990. "The strategic agenda: Accounting for issues and support," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 67-76.
- Markus, M. Lynne & Pfeffer, Jeffrey, 1983. "Power and the design and implementation of accounting and control systems," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 8(2-3), pages 205-218, May.
- Dermer, J. D. & Lucas, R. G., 1986. "The illusion of managerial control," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 471-482, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eleni Giannakopoulou).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.