Property: A Bundle of Rights? Prologue to the Property Symposium
AbstractThis piece is the Prologue to an _Econ Journal Watch_ symposium entitled, _Property: A Bundle of Rights?_ This Prologue was written to prompt the invited scholars to expound their own criticisms of the bundle-of-rights view, or, as the case may be, to address criticisms out there. The Prologue is written from a staunch yet pragmatic classical liberal perspective. It frames a number of issues, provides a series of quotations, and asks a number of questions intended to prompt the symposium participants. The symposium participants include leading critics of the bundle formulation James E. Penner, Thomas W. Merrill, and Henry E. Smith; younger critics Larissa Katz, Eric R. Claeys, and Adam Mossoff; eminent defenders of the bundle formulation Stephen R. Munzer and Richard A. Epstein; and the renowned property scholar Robert C. Ellickson, who takes a middle position.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econ Journal Watch in its journal Econ Journal Watch.
Volume (Year): 8 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Property; bundle of rights; exclusion; ownership; legal realism; law and economics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A1 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics
- K00 - Law and Economics - - General - - - General (including Data Sources and Description)
- K1 - Law and Economics - - Basic Areas of Law
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eric R. Claeys, 2011. "Bundle-of-Sticks Notions in Legal and Economic Scholarship," Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, vol. 8(3), pages 205-214, September.
- Richard A. Epstein, 2011. "Bundle-of-Rights Theory as a Bulwark Against Statist Conceptions of Private Property," Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, vol. 8(3), pages 223-235, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jason Briggeman) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Jason Briggeman to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.